SAAB

  • Pelouze, Craige
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2010
      From Craige Pelouze
      Ron; The Saab be de bob was a ball to drive. Sounded just like a sewing machine. I cut my teeth on it as a frot wheeler. I learned quickly to down shift clutchless tap the ceramatalic drum brakes and throw it in to the corner and get back on the power immediately and let the fron end drag the rear end around behind it. It was really cool when the revs caught up with the speed and it slapped you in the back. Don't think I ever spun it but Sam did flip it in Cappy's, got out turned it back sunny side up and kept going. The inside rear wheels would come off the ground in a spectacular fashion but we couldn't see that from the driver's seat so it didn't scare us to much. Stock was about 40 hp but we believed we were cranking 80 with only mild cheating. We had formatiable competition with the Mini's but frequently we could get a podium. In one of the 12 hrs when the factory Falcons, Cortinas, Darts, etc were running I was getting lapped frequently by a Mustang driven by one Curtis Turner and finally had had enough of that so going in to the heel of the boot I caught the lunbering beast from behind and nailed him in the rear. Well he had one of those new fangled full with rear view morrors and I saw him glare at me in my little pea popper and knew my ass was grass. Next time he came up to lap me he had PLENTY of room to pass. Still have a lot of very nice silver we won with the Green Bean.
      Craige Pelouze Ah yes The Good Ole Daz
    • Don Greimel
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2010
        I recall that 12 hour very well. We won the team trophies with the only
        team still running after five hours. Our cars all finished and we never
        added anything but gasoline. Who'd a thunk you could do that with a bunch
        of SIMCA's. We sure didn't.

        Don Greimel