Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Off-Topic Question

  • john mccann
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2010
      Thanks so much.  I appreciate your checking.  I guess I should tell you that (being somewhat obsessive-compulsive) I looked for a website to cite on the other forum that I mentioned, I found that at the German GP in '57, Moss placed 5th in a Vanwall according to http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr062.html.   I (of course!!) am not trying to argue or pretend to know more than thee.  But on the off-hand chance you're also afflicted with excess worry over trivia--I thought I'd pass that on...

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2010
        Aloha John,

        On 26 May 1957 Moss raced a Maserati 450 S (that is a sports car) in the ADAC
        1000 km at the Nurburgring and lost the left rear wheel/hub.

        In the 1957 August German GP, also at the Nurburgring, Moss raced a Vanwall. He
        did not lose a wheel during this race.

        Your question was whether Moss had made a wry comment about losing a wheel in
        the Dutch GP.

        I checked all appearances at Zandvort for Moss and he did not lose a wheel
        there. Then I checked all instances when Moss was DNF and found only two
        references to losing a wheel; Spa in 1956 with a 250 F (that is a GP car) and
        ADAC with the sports 450S were all I could find.

        Perhaps your other web site can be more helpful

        crazylucy38 wrote:

        > I'm a lurker here, loved Marlboro back in the early '60s and found
        this group pretty much by accident. Now I have a question that I
        cannot find an answer for. But so many wonderful historians of road
        racing are here maybe I can ask you guys.

        > In the early '60s or very late '50s at Zandvoort, for the Dutch
        Grand Prix, Stirling Moss lost a wheel and wrecked badly. There is a
        wonderful remark, in the sense of too-too-English, that I seem to
        recall from that event, which I quoted on another internet group but
        cannot actually document. Stirling looked to his side and realized
        that the wheel that was passing him unattached to any car--came from
        his (?) Cooper. And he said: "I knew I was in a spot of bother."

        > Can anyone tell me if I'm full of sh*t here or did this happen the
        way I recall reading about it in Road & Track way way back then?

        > Thanx

      • john mccann
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2010
          And Aloha to you too, sir!  (Bowing humbly...)

          crazylucy38 wrote:

          > I'm a lurker here, loved Marlboro back in the early '60s and found
          this group pretty much by accident. Now I have a question that I
          cannot find an answer for. But so many wonderful historians of road
          racing are here maybe I can ask you guys.

          > In the early '60s or very late '50s at Zandvoort, for the Dutch
          Grand Prix, Stirling Moss lost a wheel and wrecked badly. There is a
          wonderful remark, in the sense of too-too-English, that I seem to
          recall from that event, which I quoted on another internet group but
          cannot actually document. Stirling looked to his side and realized
          that the wheel that was passing him unattached to any car--came from
          his (?) Cooper. And he said: "I knew I was in a spot of bother."

          > Can anyone tell me if I'm full of sh*t here or did this happen the
          way I recall reading about it in Road & Track way way back then?

          > Thanx

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
            I was an R&T subscriber in 1956, but I can't remember the article on the 1956 Belgian GP that might have included Moss's comments about losing the wheel, and I did not keep my copies of R&T to research the articles. The race was on June 3, 1956, so I imagine the R&T report on the race would have been in the Sep or Oct 1956 issue. I suggest you go to the R&T Forums (http://forums.roadandtrack.com) and ask any readers that have archived copies to research those issues. If that fails, contact R&T web site - they must have archives of all copies somewhere.

            After losing the wheel, Moss ran back to the pits, took over Cesare Perdisa's Maserati 250F and eventually finished 3rd in the race behind Peter Collins and Paul Frere (the longtime R&T European contributor) in Lancia Ferrari D50s. The 3rd place 5 points were split 3 for Moss and 2 for Perdisa (Source: http://www.manipef1.com/grandprix/1956/belgium/). A good summary of the race is at Grand Prix.com (http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr052.html).

            There is an excellent Google video showing Moss's Maserati with the wheel missing and he running back to the pits at Eau Rouge (it was fortunate he lost the wheel so close to the pits, but the Eau Rouge right hand turn would certainly put the most force on the left rear wheel). URL for video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6729741841437403541#

            I have several videos containing interviews with Moss; I'll try to dig them out and see if his comment is mentioned.

            Dick Miller

          • scshmoo@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
              Aloha Richard,

              Just checked my copy of 9/56 R&T.

              Cahier reports that Moss' 250 F broke the de Dion tube and lost a wheel. Cahier notes, "...Moss jumped out like a jack-in-the-box and as he was sprinting past back towards the pits, he told me, 'I'm getting another car....'"

              So that is the quote from that race

            • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
                Good evening old friends,
                Two comments on the wheels getting ahead us at an inopportune time:
                First, I do remember reading Moss saying that while driving a Lotus 18 F-1 I think, a wheel came off and passed him. Just a thought!
                Second, I crewed for a light blue Alfa Giulietta Spider - owned and raced by Frank Miller - Frank and Dick Clapp who also used a Giulietta Spider participated in the 65 or 66 Marlboro 6 hour Joe Richardson and Ernie Johnson also crewed on this effort - anyway, early in the evening Frank was headed down the back straight toward creek bend when he felt a thump on braking and watched his right rear wheel and tire pass by going for a swim in the creek. - many white flags latter Franks Alfa was back in the infield - We had to get the corner workers to brave the creek wild life to retrieve the wheel and tire so that we could pull the tire and put it on a "better" wheel so we could proceed - they did and we did - finish well down in the order but we did finish - I built the motor - pretty stock - Frank loved to try trick engine build ideas - but most caused the rods to attempt escape - We had it pretty good back when
                Regards,
                Sam Smith

              • scshmoo@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                  Aloha Sam,

                  No luck. Walker got the 18 just before Monaco 1960 and Moss won the race.

                  At Zandvoort in 1960 Brabham hit a curb and threw up a chunk that crashed into
                  Moss' left front wheel bursting the tire. He made it back to the pits and the
                  wheel was changed.

                  At Spa shortly after the left rear axle broke. He mentions that he did not know
                  what happened, but that the car spun violently. When he was backwards he writes,
                  " I remember the wheel and axle bounding away." He was busy bracing for the
                  impending crash... then his head snapped backwards.

                  He wrote in his diary:

                  "Shunt

                  Nose
                  Back
                  Legs
                  Bruises

                  Bugger!"

                  Otherwise he was very successful with the 18 and the 18/21. Winning most of the
                  races in 1960-61 or finishing near the front.

                • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Thanks David :) just havin fun here :)