Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: 1967 Refrigerator Bowl

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hi Steve,

      How did Tatum do in the Refrigerator Bowl with the GTO and the 330P?

      Which regional do you refer to? I think 25 June and 16 July were regionals. I do not know what the 15 Oct Sprints/Six hour or the 19
      Nov Turkey Bowl were classified as?

      At the regional did Bob Hurt drive one of the cars (the GTO?) while Tatum raced the 330? Hurt was a "pro" driver by then, but might
      have been allowed to run without being awarded a position.

      Many thanks,

      Steve K wrote:

      > Gordon Tatum contnues to fascinate me. First he lets someone take his Ferrari GTO to driver's school in '66
      >
      > Then he shows up at the Refrigerator Bowl with the GTO & a 330P to race them in the freaking snow & rain.
      >
      > Later that year he enters them both in a regional where he can't even drive them both because they run together in the same race
      >
      > I can't wait for '68 when he brings the P4!
      >
      > There are pictures of the car on www.laprecord.com as part of the 1-2-3 Ferrari sweep at the Daytona Continental just a year earlier
      >
      > It seemed pretty strange then, even more so now
      >
      > --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve K" <sknoll@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I think so. Did he drive the same McLaren that George Alderman did? I'll post a photo or two in a couple minutes

    • Steve K
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
        I have neither entry list nor result sheet for the Refrigerator Bowl. The 330P appears 2nd on the grid in a photo, but a McLaren, probably George Alderman, gets the checker for a victory lap. There are a couple photos of the GTO on the grid, but none on the track

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
          Gordon won the Jun 25 Regional in CSR with the 330P, a beautiful car. There are photos of him with the checker & the Straightpipe confirms. No photos of the GTO, nor mention of it in the Straightpipe, so it evidently stayed home that weekend

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
            Both cars were entered in the July 16th regional & ran in the same group

            Bob Hurt is listed as winning BP in a Ferrari

            It gets a bit confusing here, because the results show Gordon a DNF in CSR, but the photos clearly show both the 330P & GTO taking a victory lap together. Personally, I'm going with the photos, but I wasn't there & wouldn't likely remember anyway :)

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
              No sign of either car in either the photographs or the results sheet

              There are photos of both cars posted in the events albums. If you are still having an issue with that, give me a call at 831.372.7488

              I'm in California, so that would be the Pacific Time zone :)

            • scshmoo@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
                Hi Steve,

                Thank you,

                David

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Aloha Steve,

                  Thanks for all your help.

                  I think I have found the albums now.

                  Many thanks for all your efforts in keeping this group going and for posting the photos.

                  Steve K wrote:

                  > No sign of either car in either the photographs or the results sheet
                  >
                  > There are photos of both cars posted in the events albums. If you are still having an issue with that, give me a call at 831.372.7488
                  >
                  > I'm in California, so that would be the Pacific Time zone :)
                  >
                  > --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, scshmoo@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Steve,
                  > >
                  > > How did Tatum do in the Refrigerator Bowl with the GTO and the 330P?
                  > >
                  > > Which regional do you refer to? I think 25 June and 16 July were regionals. I do not know what the 15 Oct Sprints/Six hour or the 19
                  > > Nov Turkey Bowl were classified as?
                  > >
                  > > At the regional did Bob Hurt drive one of the cars (the GTO?) while Tatum raced the 330? Hurt was a "pro" driver by then, but might
                  > > have been allowed to run without being awarded a position.
                  > >
                  > > Many thanks,
                  > >
                  > > David

                • Robert Hines
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2010
                    About that time Gordon Tatum had a guy rent/buy one of his cars and ran a couple of races.  I remember him stuffing it into both guardrails as you exit the oval.  I think his name was Koenigsburg or something similar.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Hi All,

                    Jess Pourret has, under 3005 GT a comp/61 SWB:

                    "1963 sold to Konigsburg, Van Meister, motor and gearbox taken out. Sold to C.
                    Hayes."

                    I think Jess has this out of order. Bill von Meister was from Northern Virginia
                    (Arlington?) and in 1963 he bought 3005 from Doug Thiem and a FJr for Pierre
                    Mion to race. 3005 was painted red and Mion raced it at Marlboro and VIR in
                    April (two DNFs). Later that year von Meister advertised the car for sale in
                    Comp Press.

                    In March 1965 I remember 3005 at Tatum's Pliers Mill shop painted dark blue
                    (done by Modifications Unlimited) sitting beside 2243 in ICE's showroom. I have
                    a photo of 3005 at Marlboro in 1968 or 69. I think Gordon was driving.

                    Conflicting with this is Pourret's note that 3005 was sold to Chinetti then to
                    Sutterfield in 1965 and on to Bill Culbertson. I know Tatum had the engine and
                    gearbox at Gemstone in 1972, but he may have sold it to Culbertson before he
                    "went up the road" (March 1974).

                    In 1965 I am pretty sure 3005 still had its engine. Maybe it came back to Tatum
                    and this is where Konigsburg comes into the picture.

                    I do not have Konigsburg in the ownership chain of Gordon's GTO 3767.

                    Attached are some scans of 3005 in 1963 and the von Meister team (from Sports
                    Car).

                    Regards,

                    david

                    Kauai