Marlboro Bus Service

  • larryj300
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 7, 2009
      While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
      The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.

      BUSES TO RACES
      MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
      BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
      From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
      ONE WAY .... 81 cents
      ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
      Including Tax
      W.M.& A. BUSES
      VIctor 3300

      Larry Jendras Jr.
      Sykesville, Md.
    • scshmoo@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 7, 2009
        Hi Larry,

        I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland&Virginia. As I recall these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
        letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.

        larryj300 wrote:

        > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
        > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.
        >
        > BUSES TO RACES
        > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
        > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
        > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
        > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
        > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
        > Including Tax
        > W.M.& A. BUSES
        > VIctor 3300
        >
        > Larry Jendras Jr.
        > Sykesville, Md.

      • dbmil1s
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 9, 2009
          Being born in DC in 1940, I recall that WM&A was Washington, Marlboro and Annapolis Motor Lines.

          Dick Miller

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, scshmoo@... wrote:

          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland&Virginia. As I recall these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
          > letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > David
          >
          > larryj300 wrote:
          >
          > > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
          > > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.
          > >
          > > BUSES TO RACES
          > > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
          > > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
          > > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
          > > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
          > > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
          > > Including Tax
          > > W.M.& A. BUSES
          > > VIctor 3300
          > >
          > > Larry Jendras Jr.
          > > Sykesville, Md.

        • Peter van der Vate
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 9, 2009
            Just my 2 cents
            VW&M was a bus line that ran in DC, MD and VA, think they may have also been called Arnold lines.
            Bus color was cream with maroon trim. they had a major terminal at 13th and E streets NW in DC.
            There was also a AB&W that ran into Alexandria as well.
            I used to ride WV&M to Falls Church and Fairfax, don't remember the fare.....

            Pete van der Vate

          • scshmoo@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 9, 2009
              Hi Dick,

              Thank you for the correction.

              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 10, 2009
                Anyone remember the streetcars in DC? My folks swear that my first word wasn't "ma-ma" or "da-da", but "deet-car". My mother said she knew I was doomed to be a gearhead.
                Steve L.

              • scshmoo@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 10, 2009
                  Hi Steve,

                  Yes I do. They lasted until the 1950s. Were D.C. Transit and painted green. The
                  Cabin John line was fun to ride, almost as much fun as Glen Echo which it passed
                  right in front of.

                  Stephen Lloyd wrote:

                  > Anyone remember the streetcars in DC? My folks swear that my first word wasn't
                  "ma-ma" or "da-da", but "deet-car". My mother said she knew I was doomed to be
                  a gearhead.
                  Steve L.

                  Being born in DC in 1940, I recall that WM&A was Washington,
                  Marlboro and Annapolis Motor Lines.

                  Dick Miller

                  --- In Marlboro_Raceway@ yahoogroups. com, scshmoo@... wrote:

                  > Hi Larry,
                  >
                  > I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland &Virginia. As I recall
                  these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
                  > letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange
                  for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > David
                  >
                  > larryj300 wrote:
                  >
                  > > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found
                  an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
                  > > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the
                  Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.

                  > > BUSES TO RACES
                  > > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
                  > > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
                  > > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
                  > > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
                  > > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
                  > > Including Tax
                  > > W.M.& A. BUSES
                  > > VIctor 3300
                  > >
                  > > Larry Jendras Jr.
                  > > Sykesville, Md.

                • Don Greimel
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 10, 2009
                    I lived in Brookmont, just over the DC line and right on the Cabin John trolley line.   A ten cent token would take you anywhere but the "new" streamlined cars that arrived after WWII were so soflly sprung that they made me sea sick.
                    I would only get on the old "double ended" cars.

                    Don Greimel

                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 10, 2009
                      While I'm thinking about it, anyone remember Gifford's Ice Cream in Silver Spring (and Bethesda?). I still miss their Swiss Chocolate ice cream. The Silver Spring Gifford's was about a block away from Warren Shamlian's Import Motors, Ltd. And then there were Velati's caramels from Woodward & Lothrop...
                      Steve L.

                      I lived in Brookmont, just over the DC line and right on the Cabin John trolley line.   A ten cent token would take you anywhere but the "new" streamlined cars that arrived after WWII were so soflly sprung that they made me sea sick.
                      I would only get on the old "double ended" cars.

                      Don Greimel
                      Anyone remember the streetcars in DC? My folks swear that my first word wasn't "ma-ma" or "da-da", but "deet-car". My mother said she knew I was doomed to be a gearhead.
                      Steve L.

                      Being born in DC in 1940, I recall that WM&A was Washington, Marlboro and Annapolis Motor Lines.

                      Dick Miller

                      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@ yahoogroups. com, scshmoo@... wrote:

                      > Hi Larry,
                      >
                      > I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland &Virginia. As I recall these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
                      > letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > David
                      >
                      > larryj300 wrote:
                      >
                      > > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
                      > > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.
                      > >
                      > > BUSES TO RACES
                      > > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
                      > > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
                      > > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
                      > > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
                      > > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
                      > > Including Tax
                      > > W.M.& A. BUSES
                      > > VIctor 3300
                      > >
                      > > Larry Jendras Jr.
                      > > Sykesville, Md.

                    • Stacey Hopkins
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 11, 2009
                        Wow--Gifford's! So funny you should mention that. I was thinking of Gifford's the other day. My dad used to take us to Gifford's all the time. He loved the place. A real ice-cream parlor, very nice inside, and the best ice cream. Dad was really upset when they went out of business.

                        On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:

                        While I'm thinking about it, anyone remember Gifford's Ice Cream in Silver Spring (and Bethesda?). I still miss their Swiss Chocolate ice cream. The Silver Spring Gifford's was about a block away from Warren Shamlian's Import Motors, Ltd. And then there were Velati's caramels from Woodward & Lothrop...
                        Steve L.

                        I lived in Brookmont, just over the DC line and right on the Cabin John trolley line.   A ten cent token would take you anywhere but the "new" streamlined cars that arrived after WWII were so soflly sprung that they made me sea sick.
                        I would only get on the old "double ended" cars.

                        Don Greimel
                        Anyone remember the streetcars in DC? My folks swear that my first word wasn't "ma-ma" or "da-da", but "deet-car". My mother said she knew I was doomed to be a gearhead.
                        Steve L.

                        Being born in DC in 1940, I recall that WM&A was Washington, Marlboro and Annapolis Motor Lines.

                        Dick Miller

                        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@ yahoogroups. com, scshmoo@... wrote:

                        > Hi Larry,
                        >
                        > I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland &Virginia. As I recall these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
                        > letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > David
                        >
                        > larryj300 wrote:
                        >
                        > > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
                        > > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.
                        > >
                        > > BUSES TO RACES
                        > > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
                        > > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
                        > > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
                        > > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
                        > > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
                        > > Including Tax
                        > > W.M.& A. BUSES
                        > > VIctor 3300
                        > >
                        > > Larry Jendras Jr.
                        > > Sykesville, Md.

                      • Robert Rosen
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 11, 2009
                          How many remember that DC couldn't use salt to melt the snow/ice on the streets because the salty runoff would go down to the underground third rail the street cars used and short them out.

                          As for Giffords, I hope everyone knows that the name and recipes were bought at auction a few years ago and Giffords is up and running again. There are stores in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Rockville, downtown DC, Pikesville, Hyattsville, and across from Shady Grove hospital.

                          So you can still get that Swiss Chocolate. But sadly, you don't get the little pitchers of hot fudge when you order a sundae.

                          --Robert

                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 11, 2009
                            Robert,
                            Thanks for that news!  Velati's candies are back, too... They're in Annapolis and as far as I know sell via mail-order or e-mail only. They are still as good as when Salvatore was alive!
                            Steve L.

                          • donaldfrye@verizon.net
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 11, 2009

                              Does anyone remember the Polar Bear frozen custard stand that used to be on Colesville Rd near the B&O overpass?  Used to go there after a few laps around the SS Hot Shoppe in my Chevy powered '40 Ford.   Couple of years later, I returned to the Hot Shoppe with my TR3 and tried to run a gymkhanna through the Tele-Trays.  Oh. to be young and stupid again.

                            • Sanmar02@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 12, 2009
                                I'm sure everyone has at least one story involving the "Little Tavern" shops. Those little burgers sure were good at about 1am after a hard night of cruisin' and boozin'! And the characters you would see at the counter were sometimes like the bar scene in "Star Wars!"

                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 12, 2009
                                  I remember... I always wondered where they got all those broken mirror pieces to simulate ice. And we went to that Hot Shoppes as well. Good stuff.
                                  SL

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 12, 2009
                                    Marty,
                                    You nailed it! I thought a bad of those little burgers was quite a treat -- and they would need to have those diced onions, too.  And as for the characters inside, the Star Wars cantina captures that image perfectly. Thanks for waking that memory.
                                    SL

                                  • toyphil@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 13, 2009

                                      I remember the one at Baily's Crossroad's. Birthday ice cream parties and ice cream yule log at Christmas.

                                      Phil

                                      On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                      While I'm thinking about it, anyone remember Gifford's Ice Cream in Silver Spring (and Bethesda?). I still miss their Swiss Chocolate ice cream. The Silver Spring Gifford's was about a block away from Warren Shamlian's Import Motors, Ltd. And then there were Velati's caramels from Woodward & Lothrop...
                                      Steve L.

                                      I lived in Brookmont, just over the DC line and right on the Cabin John trolley line.   A ten cent token would take you anywhere but the "new" streamlined cars that arrived after WWII were so soflly sprung that they made me sea sick.
                                      I would only get on the old "double ended" cars.

                                      Don Greimel
                                      Anyone remember the streetcars in DC? My folks swear that my first word wasn't "ma-ma" or "da-da", but "deet-car". My mother said she knew I was doomed to be a gearhead.
                                      Steve L.

                                      Being born in DC in 1940, I recall that WM&A was Washington, Marlboro and Annapolis Motor Lines.

                                      Dick Miller

                                      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@ yahoogroups. com, scshmoo@... wrote:

                                      > Hi Larry,
                                      >
                                      > I think WM&W stood for Washington/Maryland &Virginia. As I recall these busses were red with a black stripe and the WM&A in gold
                                      > letters in the black stripe. There used to be a major interchange for WM&A in front of the Main Post Office on Pennsylvania Ave.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      >
                                      > David
                                      >
                                      > larryj300 wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > While doing research on the early history of Marlboro, I found an ad in the Washington Post advertising bus service to the track.
                                      > > The original oval dirt track opened on July 27, 1952 and in the Aug 2 edition of the paper was this ad.
                                      > >
                                      > > BUSES TO RACES
                                      > > MARLBORO MOTOR RACEWAY
                                      > > BUSES AT 1:30 P.M.
                                      > > >From 11th & Penna. Ave N.W.
                                      > > ONE WAY .... 81 cents
                                      > > ROUND TRIP ...$1.61
                                      > > Including Tax
                                      > > W.M.& A. BUSES
                                      > > VIctor 3300
                                      > >
                                      > > Larry Jendras Jr.
                                      > > Sykesville, Md.

                                    • Stacey Hopkins
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 13, 2009
                                        Me too! We'd eat ice cream and Dad would tell stories of landing planes there when it was an airfield.

                                        On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM, <toyphil@...> wrote:

                                        I remember the one at Baily's Crossroad's. Birthday ice cream parties and ice cream yule log at Christmas.

                                        Phil

                                        Wow--Gifford's! So funny you should mention that. I was thinking of Gifford's the other day. My dad used to take us to Gifford's all the time. He loved the place. A real ice-cream parlor, very nice inside, and the best ice cream. Dad was really upset when they went out of business.

                                        On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:

                                        ._,_.___
                                        Recent Activity
                                          Visit Your Group
                                          Give Back

                                          Yahoo! for Good

                                          Get inspired

                                          by a good cause.

                                          Y! Toolbar

                                          Get it Free!

                                          easy 1-click access

                                          to your groups.

                                          Yahoo! Groups

                                          Start a group

                                          in 3 easy steps.

                                          Connect with others.

                                          .

                                        • toyphil@aol.com
                                          Message 19 of 28 , Aug 13, 2009
                                            I recall there was a pony ride pretty close to there also.

                                            Phil

                                              Message 20 of 28 , Aug 13, 2009
                                                You guys (and gal) are making me feel old.

                                                I am new to Facebook, and am still groping for some kind of logic to its structure of communications.

                                                Any suggestions for good instruction sources will be welcome.

                                                Briefly, I competed in the DC Region from 1956 to the first half of 1957.

                                                I more or less owned Motor Imports, Ltd. in Rockville, MD, and Frank Baptista was my service manager.  We sold  Dave Rpethel his first sports car (a TR-3 or 4).  Charlie Kolb was a close friend of our group as was the likes of Dick Lord, George Bull, Steve Spitler and Arthur Tweedale.  Chuck Wallace was my instructor during my novice period.  (Scary first ride with him - in spite of confidence in his competence).

                                                I moved to Oklahoma in August 1957 to get academic credentials at the University of Oklahoma so that I could return to MIT.  But I chose to stay in Oklahoma.  It was more compatible with my type-B personality.

                                                I can state without question that my times with SCCA in DC were among the best and happiest of my life.

                                                To stay "on topic", my favorite memories of places at this time included the Toddle House between Bethesda and Rockville - pancakes soaked in butter, with some (real) maple syrup, after midnight, after a concert at the Library of Congress or elsewhere.  [Coincidence - the owner of the franchise was from Oklahoma City!]  And my favorite restaurant was The Occidental, on Pennsylvania near the Treasury Department.  The Colony, upstairs, across the street from the Mayfair Hotel was better, but very "formal".  My first wife and I had dinner at the Colony with Veep Dick Nixon, Chief Justice Earl Warren and Gov. Carl Knight (sic?) of California.  [They were at a separate table - the only reason I noticed was when the secret service wandered through the restaurant to check for security - fortunately, they didn't know that I was {and still am} a liberal Democrat.]  My soon to be wife was more impressed than I was.

                                                And then there was a small beer joint on the road between Marlboro and DC.  After-practice gatherings there were always fun - except for my first day there when Dr. Murphy had a fatal accident.  We didn't know the outcome, but it was my first day as a novice at Marlboro, and I was one of the ~six who lifted the upside-down Jaguar [without roll-bar] off of the driver.  Fortunately I was on the bottom side of the car - I could tell from the expressions of the other workers that I did not want to see the other side, so I returned to the pits.  [The accident happened at the first chicane from the oval.]  From what I saw of the expressions of the workers on the other side of the car, there was no question that Doc Murphy was a fatality.  I stayed out of the discussion at the beer joint.  After all, I was the novice in the group, and did not feel that I had much to contribute to the conversation.  Jim Robinson seemed to be the leader in the discussion - with no point or resolution - I stayed focused on my beer.

                                                {My research showed that Doc Murphy was widowed when his wife died during the birth of their twins.  According to others, he was, at best, squirrelly as a driver, and Dick Thompson warned a friend not to ride with Dr. Murphy during the novice training.}

                                                As for me, I realized that racing was fun, but could be dangerous or fatal.

                                                Back to "topic".  The Occidental should not be confused with the current restaurant by that name in the same location.  They purchased the considerable collection of autographed photographs of politicians of the original [considered one of the ten best restaurants in the U.S. for many years], but the present occupant is excellent, but nothing at all like the original.

                                                - - - -

                                                One memory I have cherished was a "drag-race' from a stop-light after a monthly meeting of the DC Region.  Someone with a new "hot" Ford Thunderturd saw my station-wagon tow-car, white with blue stripes, ala Cunningham, and revved his engine at me at a stop-light.  I left him in the dust when the light turned green.  My wagon was a Plymouth with a stick-shift hooked up to a hot Chrysler 300 hemi-head.  For those of you old enough to remember the original T-Bird, it had the speed and capacity of a new-born elephant.  Pretty, but no contest against the Chevy  Corvettes - or MGs for that matter.

                                                - - - -

                                                At 77, am I the last of the originals (minor league) compared to Dick (and Sarah) Thompson, Chuck Wallace, Fred and Pinky Windridge (they divorced - who did she marry from Ohio [?]), Jim and Cindy Robinson, Steve Spitler, George Bull, and Dick Lord?

                                                I am especially interested in details, dates, etc., regarding Dick Lord.

                                                A new Topic?

                                                Rick Kelly
                                                Oklahoma City

                                                On Aug 13, 2009, at 7:10 PM, toyphil@... wrote:

                                                I recall there was a pony ride pretty close to there also.

                                                Phil

                                                Wow--Gifford' s! So funny you should mention that. I was thinking of Gifford's the other day. My dad used to take us to Gifford's all the time. He loved the place. A real ice-cream parlor, very nice inside, and the best ice cream. Dad was really upset when they went out of business.

                                                On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                                ._,_.___
                                                Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
                                                RECENT ACTIVITY
                                                  Visit Your Group
                                                  Give Back
                                                  Get inspired
                                                  by a good cause.
                                                  Y! Toolbar
                                                  easy 1-click access
                                                  to your groups.
                                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                                  in 3 easy steps.
                                                  Connect with others.
                                                  .

                                                • Don Greimel
                                                  Message 21 of 28 , Aug 14, 2009
                                                    A friend kept an AT6 at that airfield, which had a pretty short runway and a tall apartment house at the end.  It was fun watching the dwellers scatter as we cleared the roof with that big Pratt & Whitney bellowing :>).

                                                    Don

                                                      Message 22 of 28 , Aug 14, 2009
                                                        Dr. Tompson is alive but not that well and livng in Florida with his second wife.  Dick Lord died many years ago, probably something like 20 years at least.  Pinky was married at least 5 times, once to Reed Rollo and once to Eddie Diehl and then she disappeared from the scene.  I last saw Steve Spitler about 25 years ago when he was taking pictures at the new track, since 1970, Summit Point.  Art Tweedale is also gone but I dont know for how long.

                                                          Message 23 of 28 , Aug 14, 2009
                                                            Please, Bob. Correction: I was never married to Pinkie.. We were very close but never tied the knot. Also , I do not know where she went later. Fun reading about all the DC area antics. Thanks and Cheers , Ed.

                                                            Ed Diehl

                                                              Message 24 of 28 , Aug 14, 2009
                                                                Hi Ed

                                                                I was already to write a correction and let everybody know what a lovely wife you have for these past many years.

                                                                If I remember correctly, Dick Lord died coming out of the toe of the boot at Marlboro and sauntered into the infield and stopped there in his Fairthorpe Electron. (rather fitting as he love Marlboro so much)

                                                                Rick

[...]

                                                                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4335 (20090814) __________

                                                                  http://www.eset.com

                                                                • Erskine Kelly
                                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Aug 14, 2009
                                                                    Hi gents,

                                                                    I failed to mention that I have been a researcher for six years for motorsportmemorial.org.

                                                                    Some additional corrections:

                                                                    Steve Spitler was killed on 07 June 1958 when he rolled Jim Robinson's D-Type Jaguar.  According to one report, his seat belt was not in use.

                                                                    A number of years ago I had contacted Dave Roethel in hopes of getting detailed information regarding Dick Lord's death.  I never received a response - Dave may have passed away before he had time to help.

                                                                    I am still seeking the exact date of death of Dick Lord.  I think it was ~1967, + or - 2 years.  It is my understanding that he died of a heart attack immediately after a race or a practice session.

                                                                    I was the first owner of Dick's Fairthorpe Electron.  It had great potential - but:

                                                                    I trailered it to a national race near Ft. Worth, Texas.  During practice the engine ran roughly every time I turned in a certain direction (left or right, I have forgotten which).  Eventually I traced the problem to the fuel line leading into the Webber carbs - it was made of rubber.  The fuel caused the rubber line to swell up on its inside, and when I turned in one direction the fuel supply was pinched off.  I finally found a plastic tube that worked as a replacement, and the engine ran fairly smoothly thereafter.

                                                                    The races went down in history as the Texas Regatta.  In spite of one burnt piston, I still came in second in GP class in two races.  Chuck Wallace was there also, and he had to borrow my helmet because his visor fogged up from the constant rains.

                                                                    When I got back to DC, Frank checked the engine and discovered the burnt piston.  It was replaced, the ports were polished, the valve springs were matched, the crank shaft was balanced, and the car was almost like Frank's Lotus 11, with an extra two hundred pounds added.  It was fast, felt very much like Frank's Lotus in road holding, and was an easy winner in G Production at Marlboro.  I still have the lavender checkered flag that Tex Hopkins mailed to me after I had moved to Oklahoma.

                                                                    The next race, on the same day that I won the GP class, was the first six-hour race at Marlboro.  Art Tweedale and I teamed up for the 6-hour race.  I started the event, and Art took over some time later - and the gear box disintegrated.  The only replacement available on this side of the Atlantic was in Montreal.  I flew there to make sure it had the correct connections to the engine and drive shaft.  I got back to DC with it, Frank fixed the car, and I closed Motor Imports, Ltd., selling the parts and Fairthorpe to Continental Motors, with Frank joining that company as its shop manager.   [Yes, I know about that disaster - worthy of a separate subject, given its international consequences.]

                                                                    The Fairthorpe was a good idea, poorly executed.  The gear box was designed for a Morris Minor, and was not strong enough to take the power of a Coventry Climax 1100cc engine.

                                                                    - - - -

                                                                    I would still like to have the correct date of Dick Lord's death.  He worked for a newspaper, now defunct, in DC, so an obituary was probably not run in the Post or the Star.

                                                                    'nuf for now -

                                                                    Rick Kelly
                                                                    Oklahoma City
                                                                    On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Rick Mandelson wrote:

[...]

                                                                      I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter.

                                                                    • scshmoo@earthlink.net
                                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 21, 2009
                                                                        Dear Rick,

                                                                        Pinkie married Reed Rollo after Fred.

                                                                        I remember the Occidental, but cannot remember where it was. Pennsylvania Ave
                                                                        next to the Willard? Old Ebbit Grill was on F Street (same side as Garfinkels),
                                                                        but closer to the corner of 15th across from the Treasury building. It was a
                                                                        well known political watering hole and had been a Speak Easy during Prohibition.
                                                                        My father used to take me there. We once had lunch with Gov Theodore R. McKeldin
                                                                        (well he was at the next table and did give me his card which he signed). I also
                                                                        remember congressmen and senators eating there from time to time.

                                                                        Old Ebbitt dated to the 1850s. I returned in 1999 and found just a brass plaque
                                                                        on a wall here it had been. The bar and much of the contents had been bought up
                                                                        and it is now located around the corner on 15th where the RKO Theater used to
                                                                        be. Now much larger, but the hot pastrami sandwich was not as good as I
                                                                        remember.

                                                                        Being an early Marlboro veteran do you remember Ed and Edna Kennedy? He had a
                                                                        Lincoln V 12 then got an early TF 1500 before moving up to an Austin Healey 100.

                                                                      • Erskine Kelly
                                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 22, 2009
                                                                          Hi David,

                                                                          To reduce confusion with others with the name Rick, I will use the name Rick Kelly.

                                                                          In another Yahoo group, we had the general practice of signing off with name and city, which I will also do.  {Hope none of you are Texas fans.}

                                                                          - - - -

                                                                          I have been trying to contact Reed Rollo by phone.

                                                                          - - - -

                                                                          The original Occidental was next door to the Willard, facing Pennsylvania Ave.  When I came to DC for a seminar in the early 1980s, I took a cab to the address in the hope that the restaurant was still in business.  At that time all that remained was a deep hole in the ground with construction under way.  A sad evening.

                                                                          If anyone is interested, I can tell a few stories about the Occidental.  One had to do with four grimy participants in practice at Marlboro arriving at about 9:30 pm of a Sunday evening to eat.  We were put in a discrete corner, and had a great meal and drinks.  Another had to do with the arrival at the Occidental near closing time by a man who was obviously "on his uppers".  A third had to do with the cause of the Occidental's demise, as told to me by an Oklahoma Congressman at a dinner at a friend's home here in OKC.

                                                                          - - - -

                                                                          I don't recall the "Old Ebbitt".  I did business at Louis and Thos Saltz (sp?) for clothes, and got concert tickets at Campbell Music.  I spent much at the Discount Record Store on Connecticut, and got to know its owner quite well.  And the small movie house near it was a favorite place to see foreign films, especially the early comedies by Alec Guinness, The Virgin Spring, etc.  I saw my first full orchestra concert at Constitution Hall - The Amsterdam Concertgebow;  I was looking forward to seeing the Berlin Philharmonic and Furtwangler in its first concert in the U.S., and was disappointed when Furtwangler died, and was to be replaced by someone named Herbert von Karajan.  It turned out to be one of the most exciting concerts I have ever seen.  Half the audience seemed to be speaking German, and the rendering of the Star Spangled banner was miserable compared to Uber Alles Deutchland.  I was beginning to wonder who won WW-II.  David Oistrakh (Sr.) was probably the best soloist I have ever seen.  Emil Gilels was fine, but it looked like he was trying to break the keyboard in two during some of the fortissimo sections - and appeared strong enough to do so.

                                                                          But there was a place several blocks north of the White House called the "623".  It was a basement beer hall that had Wurzburger beer on tap, and a casual setting of long tables instead of smaller individual tables.  A fun place, but the beer, served in gallon sized pitchers, in addition to tasting great was also more potent than one realized until one tried to stand up after several mugs.  Wurzburger might still be available in the East, but the only time I have been able to find it here is on trips to Dallas, and I would have to call the larger operations to locate it.

                                                                          And then there was the Normandy Inn west of Rockville.  Good, but way down my list unless I didn't want to drive to DC.

                                                                          - - - -

                                                                          Somewhere in the back of my brain the name Ed Kennedy rings a bell - but no details seem to come to mind.

                                                                          My first car was a black Austin Healey 100 that I bought at Jack Pry.  I debated between it and a Porsche Speedster, and decided against a car that reminded me of a large bathtub.  {What did I know?}  The Healey was a babe-magnet, but it also had a tendency to spin-out when the idiot got over his head.  Luckily, nothing bad happened except for a flat tire on one occasion.  I was rear-ended in western Virginia by a drunk while stopped at a school crossing in the evening after a high school football game.  Unfortunately the local cops were buddies of the drunk, so I demanded a State Trooper be called, since the accident was on a state highway.   The accident report indicated that I was not at fault, but the drunk was not arrested.  He did reimburse my insurance company.

                                                                          The next disaster was on a road from DC to Rockville - (Rock Creek Road?).  Shortly after midnight I came around a bend in the road to find a car coming at me in my lane.  I drove to the right into a shallow ditch to avoid a head-on, but lost control of the car and crashed head-on into a solid rock embankment on the opposite side of the road after the drunk had passed me.  There were at least a half-dozen cars following the drunk, because they were afraid to try to pass him.  When the police arrived, and saw the damage to my car, a completely flattened front, he asked what ambulance had taken the occupants to what hospital?  I told him I was the driver, and my date was sitting in one of the cars that had stopped to help.  I had a minor 3/4 inch scrape on my forehead, and she was ok.  He had never seen safety belts in a car before, until I pointed them out to him.  They were Army Air Force surplus, and I still have them.  He shook his head and commented that he was going to ask his bosses to allow them to be installed in their patrol cars.  One of the people who had stopped to help drove me to a nearby country club that was still open.  I called Frank Baptista (my shop foreman) and asked him to come from his home in Silver Spring to tow the Healey to the shop.  He said he knew a wrecker operator who would do it.  When he got to work the next day and saw the wreck he called me and asked if  was ok?  I hadn't told him how bad the damage was, and didn't realize how bad it looked until I saw it in daylight.  It was obviously no longer suitable to race, so I bought a Morgan.

                                                                          Rick Kelly
                                                                          Oklahoma City

                                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 25, 2009
                                                                            With all this discussion of bus and trolley lines, how did we avoid the mention of O. Roy Chalk, the outspoken owner, always in the news before DC Transit. Or the trolley barns and tracks so prominent at the end of the bridge in Georgetown.

                                                                            What about all the by gone dealerships, most still in the area when I arrived in the mid-60s. Just about every burb had some variation of local furrin car dealer, Triumph, MG, Fiat, Saab, Volvo, Porsche or combination of those. And Shirlington Circle athwart Shirley Highway, Route 7 from Alexandria to Leesburg,  and Route 1 south from 14th Street bridge to Ft. Belvoir were auto dealer rows. I participated in the bone picking of the dealerships like the Shirlington lots, Fox Motors in Fairfax, Fowler in Rosslyn, and the downtown DC BMC/Jag shop. Those place are where a lot of my benches, tools, and cars like Allard Palm Beach, Tatra, Triumph Mayflower, and many derilict MGBs and Daimlers came from.

                                                                            I was at Marlboro when Dick Lord had his heart attack, and somehow recall he was driving a Fiat Spyder at the time.

                                                                            That old tavern next to the old Ebbit was a preservation issue as it was  recorded as the place the Brits had used as Hq when they burned the White House, and the little movie house was one of the many downwtown porn theaters in the early 70s.

                                                                            For locally produced ice cream, I still think there is Baughers (sp) just north of Western Maryland College in Westminster, once summer training camp of the Redskins.

                                                                            My brother Jeff saved a White Tavern, prominent in Wheaton. They were built on a simple wood frame, and sheathed in green and white enameled steel roof tiles and side panels. He wanted the neon sign, and wound up being given the building "if he would take it away!" The kicker was that the timing coincided with the DC Sniper chaos, centered around the Wheaton location ... and Jeff's utilitiy vehicle was a white cube van, just like those sought as seen each time a shooting occurred!

                                                                            I'm not going to go into my road incidents or near misses, but usually Paul O'Malley, Bob Tullius or Phil Charlwood were involved. Not sure what the statutes of limitations are.

                                                                            Cheers, Bob
                                                                            _