Charlie Kolb

  • Steve Lloyd
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2009
      Folks,
      I thought you'd want to know...
      Steve Lloyd, Historian
      Washington DC Region, SCCA

      Gents,

      I regret to inform you that Charlie Kolb passed away on 15 June 2009 in Melbourne, Florida.

      For the youngsters in the DC Region, Charlie was an accomplished driver in SCCA events for many years.

      He began racing out of the DC Region, but moved to Florida at some time in the 1960s.

      As soon as I can make appropriate contact with his family and friends, I will enter more information in motorsportmemorial.org, probably sometime in July. It will be in the Lest We Forget section when posted.

      - - - -

      Can any of you tell me how to contact Richard "Tex" Hopkins'
      daughter? I would like to make an entry in MM's LWF section about Tex.

      - - - -

      Rick Kelly
      erkelly2@...
      Oklahoma City, OK

      (Life Member, SCCA, originally a member of the DC Region)
    • Ed Diehl
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2009
        Steve:  Sorry to hear that. Charlie was my driver school instructor in June, 1960. We also co-drove my TR3 in the 6hr that same weekend and finished! Quite a first weekend of racing for a rookie. , Ed.

        Ed Diehl

        erkelly2@cox. net
        Oklahoma City, OK

        (Life Member, SCCA, originally a member of the DC Region)

      • Jon Mello
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009

          Sorry to get the news. I spoke with Charlie about three years ago with regard to a Camaro he raced in the '67 Trans-Am series (I have a picture somewhere). He raced it in the searing heat down in Green Valley, Texas and this is the same race which had the closest finish in Trans-Am history (between Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones' Cougars). Apparently he was out of the race due to some mechanical malady when he was asked to finish the race in Mark Donohue's Camaro. Mark was really struggling with the heat and felt he couldn't continue but he would only give up the seat if Charlie would drive. I guess they had a friendship which had gone back to the early '60s and racing Elva Couriers against one another. I had never known Mark had not finished that particular race as there was no official record that indicated otherwise.

          Jon Mello

        • scshmoo@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
            Hi Jon,

            In Unfair Advantage Mark writes that it was hot at Green Valley and he did not think he could complete the race. He then adds "but WE finished." No explanation what the we means.

            Comp Press makes no mention of Donohue being relieved. It does mention that Kolb's Camaro was DNF.

            When Charlie had a shop in Silver Spring he was selling Elvas. I remember times when he would bring a Courier, Mark IV and FJr all to race on the same weekend. He loved racing anything with wheels.

          • donaldfrye@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009
              Hi Guys:

              I remember Charlie Kolb well.  Someone once described him as the consummate salesman who could own the world in one week and sell it all for a race car ride the following weekend.  Truly a dedicated and talented man who contributed much to the sport.

              Talking with my friend, Fred Hannasch, we were trying to approximate his age.  We were guessing 84-85.  Anybody have a guess?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009

                  Jun 20, 2009 01:09:18 AM, Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  Hi David:

                  Thanks.