Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Help with memorial

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
      I suspect "Hot Rod" was just a stream of consciousness recollection, and
      I just mentioned Jeannie as she was one of those characters who were
      such important "spear carriers' in our opera. We could easily wind up
      with a meaningless list of tens of thousands of people who belonged. I
      mentioned Dick, Brian and Pete as memorable or prominent racers no
      longer with us.

      I firmly believe Al Wall qualifies and I'm sure that Phil Charlwood can
      offer far more support than I can. Al was one of the earliest regional
      members, although never an active racer or officer, not only did he
      build hundreds of safe roll bars in an age when people had things
      cobbled together with plumbing pipe fittings, but I can testify that he
      seldom had a full night of sleep on a Saturday of a race weekend. He was
      there until sunrise more often than a guy in his 70s ever should have
      been. I watched him build a Ferrari drive shaft for Tatum out of a boat
      drive line on a race Saturday night. Your characterization of his effort
      missed the importance and urgency of his contributions by a country mile.

      As a virtual neighbor in Falls Church, I'm sure no slight was intended.

      Cheers, Bob

      Peter van der Vate wrote:

      > I remember Jeanne and "Hot Rod", it has been mentioned earlier that
      > everyone listed should be a region member etc. Obviously not all of
      > those remembered may not be region members but maybe we need another
      > classification like friends of the region or characters or something
      > like that. I remember many people like Al Wall for example, who kept
      > many a local racer running by welding or making a small part at 10 PM
      > on a Thursday night with a race weekend starting two days later.
      > Those people (and we all know who they are) should have some
      > recognition too.
      > Just my 2 cents.....
      >

      > -

    • Peter van der Vate
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
        Bob
        Sorry if I offended you, I meant Al Wall no disrespect. Al saved my tail more than once.
        Tested one of his roll bars too (it passed).
        Sincerely

        Pete van der Vate

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
          Pete, you are a long time treasured friend, and I am not miffed. I just
          thought your praise of Al a bit lukewarm ... about what I could have
          given to the BAP/GEON store. But then I rented a house behind his for
          three year or so, and never have been known to be shy or lacking for words.

          Cheers, Bob