Driver's school photos

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
      Here is an e-mail I got from Mike Cook (head of marketing for Triumph & later Jaguar in the US)

      Mike drove Dick Gilmartin's Spitfire in the driver's school & his account jives with the 23 Oct processing date on the negatives

      "Steve-

      That driver's school was at the end of the racing season. Must have been October. We had cool weather. Other than a bad coil and a seat mount coming loose there were no mechanical problems. However, during the race at the end of the weekend, Dick's other student, driving a TR3, hit my carf in the hairpin and I had to stopp to have the left rear fender pulled off the tire.

      Dick G and Bob had split but Dick was qualified for the Run-offs. It was really generous of him to let me use the car for the school because he had only a few weeks to get it ready for Riverside. He had it up in Connecticut and I went up to spend a day working on it. Seems to me he was third in the GP race.

      The Spitfire was definitely Dick's own car and an early one.

      Mike"
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
        BTW, posted a few photos of Mike in the Spitfire in the photos section

        Still would like to know who owned the black Spitfire (photo of it in the photo section as well)
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
          Hey Steve

          When you check the photos and there is a statement saying check photo for original size...........how do you do that?

          I'm referring to the photo that appears as "driver's School"

          Rick Mandelson

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
            When you go to a photo album (Click on Photos from the menu on the left margin) and double click on an image, you should see above and to the left three choices, Medium, Large & Original. If you click on original the full sized scan will appear. In the case of the Phil Dobbins photos I've uploaded, most are at 2400 dpi, which is huge; a couple are at 1600 dpi, which is still very large

            The older photos, that I uploaded a couple years ago, are all reduced in size from the original by Yahoo, because at that time there was a very small disc quota & they must also have been concerned about bandwidth

            Well, technology marches on, so we now have 100 GB disc quota, much, much more than we did originally. I wouldn't normally post images quite so large, but I wanted you all to be able to see what the original scans looked like & get some feedback before I begin scanning more

            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

            > Hey Steve
            >
            > When you check the photos and there is a statement saying check photo for original size...........how do you do that?
            >
            > I'm referring to the photo that appears as "driver's School"
            >
            > Rick Mandelson

          • Steven Benford Jr
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
              The black Spitfire just might be Joe Gurton (sp?) who was the Ford and Triumph dealer in Cumberland MD.  I remember the car looked like an Eight Ball pool ball.  The door number circles had a thin line of red around them.

              If it is Joe's car this is the car that my Dad, Steve Benford, went through driver's school in and damn near killed himself.  During the start of the practice race, Steven Sr came off the bowl with his foot on the floor determined to get to the hairpin first.  He lost control, most likely lifted and got a bunch of trailing throttle over-steer and the rear end snapped around sending him into the corner station with the corner workers jumping out.  As a young kid I thought he was dead and I started climbing over fencing trying to get at him.  Someone must have pulled me off!  I forget which one, but he tore off a front wheel.  Moral of the story - Races are not won in the first corner.  I loved my Dad dearly but he did a better job in the announcer's booth than on the track.

              Thumbs Up
              Steve Benford Jr

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
                Would that have been in this driver's school?

                Fall of '66?