Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Surprise! (Playboy go-karts)

  • emgee73@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 1, 2009

      Glen,

      I remember my Uncle, Johnny James was a member of the Competition Cart Club (CCC).  I would go with him on Sundays to various shopping center parking lots in PG County which were closed because of the Blue Laws and watch him race.  We would load the kart in the back of his 1956 Ford station wagon with dual glasspack mufflers.  I would always fight with my cousin over who would get to sit in the kart seat in the back of the station wagon on the way to races.  I would also wear my CCC T-shirt that my Uncle silk screened for the club in has basement in Camp Springs.  I still have a article I wrote for the Camp Springs Elementary School newspaper the "Little Dipper", it described a trip to one of the races, it might have been Marlboro.  I also remember another member I believe he went by the name of "Bama".  He had dual Homelights on his machine.  Great times.

      Bob Edwards

      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 18, 2009
        #92 is the ex-Monty Winkler car. I purchased the car  from Monty  thru Pete van der Vate in 65. This was my first  outing with the car(I think the only time I was in front of Bob).I still have the car(and the origonal trailer)in my collection.The car is as origonally race prepaired,although I drove to Pittsburgh and "borrowed" the O/D trans.from the pink MGB( Donna Mae  Mimms) when it was with Don Yenko.  I always constdered Marlboro to be my "home track",drivers school 1959 with Doug Diffenderfer,many" Bowls",Marlboro 300, and last event in 68.            Ken Williamson MGC GTS