Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Parnelli/Mario at Marlboro

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hi Steve,

      Jackie Stewart and Jacky Ickx raced in the Marlboro 12.

      Steve Lloyd wrote:

      > Good People,
      > I think I already know the answer to this, but can any of you verify
      > whether or not Parnelli Jones and Mario Andretti raced in anything at
      > Marlboro? I am almost certain they did not, but I need to be certain;
      > particularly with Parnelli Jones.
      > Thanks for your help.
      > Steve lloyd, Historian
      > Washington DC Region, SCCA

    • Bob Storck
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        Revson, Donohue, Penske, were all regulars in early days. Alan Moffat
        ran a Cortina in TA, and a bunch others of interest. Stirling Moss,
        Innes Ireland and Denise McCluggage raced Minis in a BMC demo about '61.

        Cheers, Bob

      • scshmoo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          Hi Bob,

          BMC was promoting the Mini and had international drivers who had been at Sebring do
          demo runs at a couple of Eastern tracks. Fango also participated in some of the
          events.

          At Marlboro it was 26 March 1962. The drivers were Stirling Moss, Innes Ireland,
          Pedro Rodriguez, Denise McCluggage and Dick Thompson.

          I cut class at UM and dashed out to Marlboro. Took some photos and raced back to
          College Park.

          See attached.

          Bob Storck wrote:

          > Revson, Donohue, Penske, were all regulars in early days. Alan Moffat
          > ran a Cortina in TA, and a bunch others of interest. Stirling Moss,
          > Innes Ireland and Denise McCluggage raced Minis in a BMC demo about '61.
          >
          > Cheers, Bob
        • Bob Storck
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
            I wound up buying one of those Minis about '71 or so from a guy who had
            been on the staff of a Towson dealer who went out of business owing him
            money. Or that was his story. Took the car and stashed it in his garage,
            and ten years later sold it to me for $350 ... with only a few hundred
            miles on it and a roll bar installed. Never had been titled. 997 Cooper.

            Cheers, Bob