F1 teams agree/Nick Craw

  • Bob Storck
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2008

      F1 teams agree to reduce engine costs

      Formula One teams have unanimously agreed to reduce engine costs by more than €15 million by 2011, according to Ferrari chairman, Luca di Montezemolo.

      Montezemolo, who recently presided over a meeting of the newly founded Formula One Teams Association, told the BBC that by 2011 an engine will cost £4 million, compared to the current £16 million.

      He added that the Association would also work with all the teams to further reduce the costs further still for 2010 and 2011. This will be the period when teams go to complex power recovery schemes.

      Forgive me for skepticism, but how are they going to control this? A claiming rule???? IMHO, they could control efficiency by limiting fuel quantity for a race. Power recovery would be a potential solution, etc.

      Nick Craw Voted FIA Deputy President for Sport

      Reputedly, this places him in line to become Mosley's successor! He was long time Chief exec of SCCA after the move to CO. Curing the 70s he was appointed by Nixon to be head of the Peace Corps.

      He is from a wealthy family and started racing with a tour of Europe, doing his early SCCA racing at Marlboro, being quite quick and a frequent winner in a FB. I was his team mate for a ten day tour of English tracks hosted by the Royale factory ... him in a F2 and me in a 1300cc sports racer. I think they expected us to buy the cars after.

      He was a long time competitor and frequent winner in the IMSA RS series in the 70's driving a BMW320 for Miller & Norburn. IIRC his team mates were Morton and Hobbs. While in CO he said he was racing a Z car. (Cliffie!!!)

      It will be good to get someone to represent U.S. motorsport interests ... maybe we'll get a race after all!