Jefferson 500/Marlboro Reunion 2009

  • Steve Lloyd
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      Marlboro Veterans and Marlboro Fans,

      Forgive me for not having reported earlier on our
      July 13th Marlboro Reunion weekend. I will send you all an update and
      ultimately the name/address list. It's just been a very busy fall
      semester! But this message isn't so much an apology as it is an
      announcement of something very exciting! You may recall at our
      Reunion I announced the V.R.G. "Jefferson 500/Marlboro Reunion" at
      Summit Point Raceway in 2009.

      I'm delighted to detail here some additional
      information on that event. First, here are the dates: Thursday,
      April 30th, Friday, May 1st, Saturday May 2nd and Sunday May 3rd9
      2009. The event is a "revival" of sorts of the vintage racing weekend
      formerly staged b y Brian Redman, the "Jefferson 500." This event is
      co-sponsored by Vintage Racer Group (VRG) and Summit Point
      Motorsports Park in West Virginia. As many of you know, most vintage
      racing weekends have themes. This event's theme is the 2009 iteration
      of the Marlboro Reunion, and you're invited!

      Schedule and entries permitting, VRG wants to offer
      the opportunity to have a few exhibition/parade laps for cars that
      actually raced at Marlboro in the 1950s and 1960s. Whether or not you
      own/drive such a veteran car, you'll enjoy seeing them on the full
      2.0 mile Summit Point circuit.

      On Friday, May 1st will be a dinner at the track for
      our Marlboro group. Additionally, your admission fee will cover not
      only this Friday dinner, but admission to the track for four days!
      You are welcome to attend as early as Thursday morning. If you
      enjoyed the July 13th Reunion, you are sure to remember this 2009
      Reunion for a long time to come.

      The fee for the weekend is $40 per person for our
      Marlboro group. Checks may be made out to "Jefferson 500" and should
      be mailed to:

      Bob Houston
      2210 Trott Avenue
      Vienna, VA 22181
      Phone: 703-938-1943

      This is important: With each $40 admission fee, we MUST
      have the name of the guest. This is critical, as admission will be
      based on the guest list only. Moreover, we'll have a list of the
      registered guests at the gate and this will be the only system for
      getting you in to all the Marlboro Reunion activities.
      After you check in at Registration (Exact location at Summit Point to
      be determined), you will then head to the Marlboro Reunion
      headquarters in the main Paddock building at the track. There you
      will receive an armband which will serve as your "admission" to the
      Friday evening dinner and other Reunion activities at the track.
      Unlike our July 13th 2008 event, this Reunion is NOT limited in size.
      PLEASE spread the word to anyone who was a Marlboro veteran, worker,
      official, fan, or is just interested in joining us for this special
      event. The deadline for your "pre-registration" is easy to remember
      because it's income tax day: April 15, 2009.

      Some of you have already seen ads for this event in
      Vintage Motorsport.

      So save the date ¯ send in your admission fee, and join us for what
      promises to be a major event for all Marlboro enthusiasts! I plan to
      have new videos from Marlboro and other Marlboro-related displays and
      memorabilia. And if you're fortunate enough to have a car that
      actually raced at Marlboro, here's an unusual chance to enjoy that
      drive in what will be a historic Marlboro Reunion!

      Steve Lloyd, Historian
      Washington DC Region, SCCA
      7928 Edgewood Farm Road
      Frederick, MD 21702-2910