Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] President's Cup Trophy

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2008
      Hi Steve,

      Neither the April Marlboro National (Governor's Cup) not the previous week's VIR
      National was called the President's Cup.

      So what race in 1965 was the "President's Cup"?

      This may be when the Washington Region lost control of the cup and the name.

      Stephen Lloyd wrote:

      > I don't believe that '65 VIR National was a Presidnet's Cup, however. Do you
      recall?Steve

      From: scshmoo@earthlink. net <scshmoo@earthlink. net>
      To: Marlboro_Raceway@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 12:57 AM

      Hi Larry,

      The first time the President's Cup was presented, Eisenhower
      presented it to
      Bill Spear, with Briggs Cunningham and Al Momo standing beside him,
      in the White
      House. later Gen LeMay made the presentation on behalf of the
      president.

      SCCA took the President's Cup away from the Washington region and
      started giving
      it out at other National Races. VIR became the home of the
      President's Cup in
      1961 and '62. Marlboro then ran the Governor's Cup. The President's
      Cup was back
      at Marlboro in 1963 and '64, but not in 1965.

      Later the SCCA seems to have awarded the President's Cup at big
      National races.
      I think I saw a race at Road America called the President's Cup.

      I think SCCA still has the cup and now awards it for other things
      besides
      winning a major race. Perhaps I have this wrong and the President's
      Cup now may
      mean the SCCA President's award not the US President.

      The cup may also have been retired. I think Hansgen and Penske each
      won it three
      times.

      GLWannarka@aol. com wrote:

      > In a message dated 10/17/2008 5:42:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > larryj300@yahoo. com writes: Larry,In my earlier response I missed

      an important
      > step. Some time ago and before my time, the award was elevated
      from a Region
      > award to a National award. The tradition of a letter of
      congratulations from
      > the President still continues.Jerry
      >
      > I was reading an article about the President's Cup Trophy in an
      old
      > Marlboro program. Started in 1954 at Andrews AFB, the moved to
      > Fairchild in 1955 and later moved to Marlboro.
      > Does anyone know if the Trophy is still around and if so, who has
      > it?
      >
      > Larry Jendras Jr
      > Sykesville, Md.

      > New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.
      Dining, Movies,
      > Events, News & more. Try it out!

      > Do You Yahoo!?
      > http://mail. yahoo.com

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bob Storck
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2008
        IIRC, the region still had control through the end of Marlboro. I was
        there to see the Howmet turbine and Jerry Crawford win in his McLaren.
        In fact, I hosted Jerry and Erica so they could go down to the White
        House the next day to receive the trophy from Johnson.

        Cheers, Bob
        btw - If you recall, Jerry's McLaren had "PUSSYCAT" on the spoiler on
        the rear. Erica always explained that only made sense as they had a cat
        at home named McLaren!