Re: Phil Hill Memory

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
      Another Phil Hill memory...

      About 4 or 5 years ago, at the Wine Country Classic at Sears Point, I
      was leaving the media center at the end of the event, exhausted from
      trecking around the track in the hot weather for 3 days

      I had just finished downloading the last of my photos to my computer
      in the cool, air-conditioning & was dreading the steep uphill trudge
      to my car & the long drive home

      As I walked thru winner's circle, Phil & his wife pulled up right in
      front of me. I pointed my camera to which Phil reacted like the pro
      he was

      I pressed the shutter button & nothing happened. I said can I have
      another & same result. I thanked him & slunk away, trying to act like
      nothing abnormal had happened. As it turned out, I had not put the CF
      card back in the camera, thinking I would have no further use for it
      that day

      So I missed a great shot, but worse, I'm sure Phil knew I hadn't
      gotten the shot, as there was no shutter click when I "took the
      picture". As many of you know, among his many talents, Phil was a
      VERY accomplished photographer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, scshmoo@... wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > I have had contact with Donn, especially recently. Did not know he had
        > connection to Group 44. Small world.
        >
        > David

        Once when we were in St Louis, I think, we worked out of a dealership
        that, as I recall, he owned

        He threw a party that race weekend for us which was pretty wild for a
        17 or 18 year old

        By the way, I have posted a picture of Phil in a Chapparal on
        www.laprecord.com
      • scshmoo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
          Hi Steve,

          I had a similar problem. We saw him early one morning in Monterey and my wife
          asked if I could take a photo. He was going somewhere, but graciously paused and
          posed. Then I realized that I had no film in the camera. He was patient while I
          loaded film and got a photo.

          Phil took a camera everywhere he went and he shot only color (Kodachrome®). His
          images are stunning. Not only because he was a good photographer, but he was
          right there and he appreciated any type of car and the people involved with
          them. If his car broke down he hauled out the camera and started shooting.

          A few years ago he sent me a selection of his photos. I attach two. Remember
          these are Phil Hill photos (give credit).