Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Phil Hill Memory

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hi Steve,

      I have had contact with Donn, especially recently. Did not know he had
      connection to Group 44. Small world.

      David

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
        Another Phil Hill memory...

        About 4 or 5 years ago, at the Wine Country Classic at Sears Point, I
        was leaving the media center at the end of the event, exhausted from
        trecking around the track in the hot weather for 3 days

        I had just finished downloading the last of my photos to my computer
        in the cool, air-conditioning & was dreading the steep uphill trudge
        to my car & the long drive home

        As I walked thru winner's circle, Phil & his wife pulled up right in
        front of me. I pointed my camera to which Phil reacted like the pro
        he was

        I pressed the shutter button & nothing happened. I said can I have
        another & same result. I thanked him & slunk away, trying to act like
        nothing abnormal had happened. As it turned out, I had not put the CF
        card back in the camera, thinking I would have no further use for it
        that day

        So I missed a great shot, but worse, I'm sure Phil knew I hadn't
        gotten the shot, as there was no shutter click when I "took the
        picture". As many of you know, among his many talents, Phil was a
        VERY accomplished photographer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, scshmoo@... wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > I have had contact with Donn, especially recently. Did not know he had
          > connection to Group 44. Small world.
          >
          > David

          Once when we were in St Louis, I think, we worked out of a dealership
          that, as I recall, he owned

          He threw a party that race weekend for us which was pretty wild for a
          17 or 18 year old

          By the way, I have posted a picture of Phil in a Chapparal on
          www.laprecord.com
        • scshmoo@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
            Hi Steve,

            I had a similar problem. We saw him early one morning in Monterey and my wife
            asked if I could take a photo. He was going somewhere, but graciously paused and
            posed. Then I realized that I had no film in the camera. He was patient while I
            loaded film and got a photo.

            Phil took a camera everywhere he went and he shot only color (Kodachrome®). His
            images are stunning. Not only because he was a good photographer, but he was
            right there and he appreciated any type of car and the people involved with
            them. If his car broke down he hauled out the camera and started shooting.

            A few years ago he sent me a selection of his photos. I attach two. Remember
            these are Phil Hill photos (give credit).