Pre War Maserati

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
      Hi All,

      Back around 1959 or 1960 in the summer a driver named Howard Brown raced at
      Marlboro. He ran a 1937 or 38 Maserati GP car in a Formula
      Libre race there. It was an inline six with a Rootes-type blower. It was owned
      by Frank Griswold who lived outside of Philadelphia. Probably a 6CM.

      Griswold had been active in ARCA before the war and won the last ARCA ever race
      at World's Fair site Flushing, NY with an Alfa P3 (sn 50007). Griswold also won
      the first Post War US sports car race at Watkins Glen, again with an Alfa. At
      Watkins he drove an 8C 2900B (sn 412035), now being restored by Jon Shirley.

      It kept burning the electrodes off the spark plugs and would drop to five
      cylinders. Eventually, at another race, it cracked the manifold between the
      blower and the engine. When I first saw it,
      it had four brand new Englebert racing tires (treaded) proper for its vintage.
      Performance and sounds were great when it ran right.

      A Howard M. Brown, Jr., with a Maserati entered by Frank T. Griswold, Jr., ran
      at the Seneca Cup of the Watkins Glen GP on September 25-26, 1959.

      He was also there for the 1958 event.

      Does anyone remember this car or have a photo (I can hope)?

    • Marcus Buzz
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
        I knew Howard Brown well as he prepared my 61 vette but not sure I have any pics but will check.

        The Buzzman zoooooman along

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
          Hi MArcus,

          Great news.

          Can you tell me more about him?

          Do you know how he came to own the Maserati?

          How long did he keep it, where did it go? All the usual questions to track down
          an obscure car.

          Many thanks.

          Marcus Buzz wrote:

          > I knew Howard Brown well as he prepared my 61 vette but not sure I have any
          > pics but will check. The Buzzman zoooooman along

        • Marcus Buzz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
            Howard was a strange guy that had a small shop in Devon Pa or around there. He was a mechanic and race driver that was always in the thick of things. I do not recall what happened to the car but I remember he was a friend of Ray Heppenstall and George Wintersteen.and Rodger Penske. He was known as Brownee. Will play with my memory for awhile but hard to remember as this was in the early 60's.

            Marcus Buzz wrote:

            > I knew Howard Brown well as he prepared my 61 vette but not sure I have any
            > pics but will check. The Buzzman zoooooman along

            OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends: Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t
          • scshmoo@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
              Hi Marceus,

              A friend just sent me this:

              "Brown always referred to Griswold as his "angel." I am fairly certain that
              Griswold bought the new Englebert tires it needed for racing in 1959-60. I
              don't think Brown had enough money to
              buy the Maserati back then but then I do not have any idea what a 1938 GP
              Maserati was worth in 1959.

              Brown had a late-model Alfa Guiletta Veloce as his daily driver."

              David