Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Athletes?

  • Don Haines Photography
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
      Steve,

      In my time, the tires were skinny and the drivers were fat :-)

      Don; Haines

      Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:
      Bob,
      An interesting discussion!

      I'm of two schools of thought here: Probably becuase I just got my latest issue of "Sports Car" from SCCA, featuring a driver profile, the initial reaction is to say that "no," drivers aren't athletes. The article in Sports Car relates the story of a portly gentleman who looks about as far from an athlete as possible -- downright portly and more a candidate for heart problems than success in a racing car. A walk through the paddock on any Summit Point SCCA Regional weekend would probably show a significant percentage of chunky, overweight drivers who certainly don't capture the image of the svelte, muscular people we see in tennis, marathons or bicycling. Yours truly ain't exactly Mr. Universe, himself! Then I thought about this again, and would have to say emphatically, that "yes," race drivers are athletes. They use their bodies, muscles, ednurance and minds to compete. If that isn't a sufficient practical understanding of the word, I can't imagine a better one. Some just do this "athlete thing" better than others. And if being in shape is a strict requirement for athletes, I dare say there are hundreds, if not thousands, of summertime softball players -- to cite just one example -- who are in no better shape physically than Joe Regional racing his Mazda. A cursory examination of any weekend's amateur golfers would probably yield the same results. But who would ever consider saying that softball players or golfers aren't athletes?

      To those, espceially the "stick and ball" types who believe racing drivers aren't athletes, I would suggest that your definition of the word is probably limited, and more than likely does not bear close scrutiny.
      Steve Lloyd

      Bob Storck <bstorck@sprynet. com> wrote:
      I've grown weary arguing with the readers and writers of the sports
      pages as to whether race drivers are athletes ... some "traditionalists"
      resist even categorizing drivers as "Sportsmen" implying that by relying
      on an unclean internal combustion engine, they themselves are not worthy.

      Just because those lauded by the sports media do so in front of
      audiences, I find it hard to not raise questions about golfers,
      synchronized swimmers or jockeys. Such questions are guaranteed to
      create glowering looks of pity at my obvious stupidity.

      Just now I stumbled across a program showing a conclave of Bass Anglers
      gathered in some poor unsuspecting lake. The announcers had no problem
      describing those grown up "good ol' boys" as athletes!

      With thinking like this, TV programming and the Presidential Election
      process becomes more understandable ... no less sad and tawdry, but more
      understandable. And I understand the appeal of crystal meth better!

      Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
      Don Haines Photography
      Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
      Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
      www.donhainesphotography.com
      727-643-5619

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        Don

        You've got a case of the gray hair..................

        Most of the drivers in the old days were slim and there are pictures to prove it.

        Rick

        Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@ yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        It has removed 562 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • Ronald D. Polimeni
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
          I believe that remark regarding the relative girth of drivers and
          tires was originally made by Froilan Gonzalez as he was looking at a
          modern F-1 car long after his retirement . Ron.

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson"
          <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

          > Don
          >
          > You've got a case of the gray hair..................
          >
          > Most of the drivers in the old days were slim and there are pictures
          to prove it.

          > Rick

          Mobile. Try it now.

          > Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
          > Don Haines Photography
          > Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
          > Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
          > www.donhainesphotography.com
          > 727-643-5619

          Try it now.

          2/29/2008 6:32 PM

        • scshmoo@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
            It was a PS page in R&T.

            "Ronald D. Polimeni" wrote:

            > I believe that remark regarding the relative girth of drivers and
            > tires was originally made by Froilan Gonzalez as he was looking at a
            > modern F-1 car long after his retirement . Ron.
            >
            > --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson"
            > <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Don
            > >
            > > You've got a case of the gray hair..................
            > >
            > > Most of the drivers in the old days were slim and there are pictures
            > to prove it.
            > >
            > > Rick

          • Ronald D. Polimeni
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
              ---
              You're right. I remember seeing that now. Ron.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2008
                in R&T showing F1 driver Farina looking at a newer
                apply to yours truly.  And it's not a case of
                grey hair but a case of "no hair"  :-)</div>

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Don Haines Photography
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Ron,
                     I think you are correct.  I was thinking it was Farina.  But now that you've mentioned it I believe you're correct.

                  Don H.

                  <rollingthunder78@ ...> wrote:

                  > Don
                  >
                  > You've got a case of the gray hair........ ......... .
                  >
                  > Most of the drivers in the old days were slim and there are pictures
                  to prove it.

                  > Rick

                  Mobile. Try it now.

                  > Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
                  > Don Haines Photography
                  > Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
                  > Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
                  > www.donhainesphotog raphy.com
                  > 727-643-5619

                  Try it now.