Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro Road Course May 22, 1955

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Larry,

      The first sports car race at Marlboro was 22 May 1955. Duncan Black was probably
      driving a Lester MG.

      David

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
        David,
        In reviewing Dave Roethel's movies of Marlboro, I came across a scene from the July 1960 six-hour endurance race weekend, where there is a very quick glimpse of a blue Ferrari coupe coming out of Cappy's Corner. It is not a clear shot by any means, but Sam Smith has watched this with me and we're in agreement that it's a very early Ferrari Coupe of some kind.

        Sam told me the type of Ferrari he thought it might be - and he wasn't certain at that -- but I've forgotten. Sam had no idea who might have been driving it.

        'Seems to me there was an article in Forza or some other Ferrari publication that feature an early coupe of this type driven by Mike Hawthorne at one time. The car was painted in the same French racing blue of the Ferrari that appears in this movie. (Maybe a 122?) Actually, this blue coupe looks like that particular coupe driven by Hawthorne. Surely there couldn't have been that many produced that it was a common appearance at regional events like Marlboro's.

        There might be another even more brief shot of the car in the movie, but it's at a greater distance and even less distinct. Do you have any idea who might have been driving and the kind of Ferrari it was?

        I might be able to capture a still from the movie, but this is (for me, at least) a time-consuming process and I'm not sure when I'll have the free time to do it. Any thoughts on this car/driver combination?

        By the way, I was rummaging through some old Forzas the other day and saw a shot of your Lusso at Pebble Beach. Last year I had a ride around Summit Point at speed in a similar silver Lusso. It was more willowy in the turns than the 360 Modena ride I'd had earlier that day, but I much prefer the sound of the Lusso!

        Thanks
        Steve Lloyd