A Christmas memory

  • Bob Storck
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2007
      I watched this all take place in the company of Paul O'Malley, Ed Zielinski, Al Marsh and several others from the DC sports car/Marlboro group.

      Not quite forty years ago, Frank Borman, James Lovell and William Anders became the first humans to leave earth orbit. How many of us remember being on edge with the many "Apollo 8, this is Houston ... Apollo 8, this is Houston ... Apollo 8, this is Houston ..." calls before they answered, and we were aware that they had survived the trip around the moon.
      Recalling the crew's words of greeting and hope still send shivers up my spine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQdP5328FY

      How many recall that the night before the launch the crew received a visit from Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh? The Lindberghs watched the launch, and Anne Morrow later wrote her thoughtful book Earth Shine about the event. She eloquently describes our treasure without ulterior motives. The crew and the Lindberghs remind us what a gift we have in our home, Earth, and that we need to protect it with wisdom and peace, forsaking the shrillness of factionalism, nationalism, misplaced faith, advocacy and self serving posturing.

      May we never lose the need to strive and most of all, the gift of wonder!!

      My fond wishes to everyone for a Merry Christmas and the blessings of this Universal Special Season everywhere.

      Cheers, health, hope and love, Bob Storck