4293Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: "Oldest" Racing Mustang - 1964 Virginia Reel Rally

  • ajs
    Jan 18, 2014
      Yes, I was a "go-fer" (unpaid child laborer) of 14 years of age at that time. We made the long drive to Marlboro from Ft Worth TX to race the Overseas Motors Minis. Did all right with a first and third in class and fifth and tenth overall. Amazing to look at the entry list for that race and see who was there. The phrase that I remember about Stewart was that "he sawed the engine in half" in 45 minutes. I do not know whether that was actually true but he was the first to leave at a very early stage of the race.

      On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM, MIchael Ling <mikeling@...> wrote:
      How time flies.  Was it really '65?  All I remember was the Mustang was hopping all over the place, but Bob told Warren they can live with it.  However, came Sunday the car picked up overheating, I went  out onto the spectator lot to strip off a  Mustang water pump and install it onto the hot engine.  Didn't help.  Spend the rest of the race watching Jackie Ickx showing the Marlboro veterans how to drift through on opposite locks.
                                              Michael

      From: ajs <ajyes72@...>
      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:11 AM

      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: "Oldest" Racing Mustang - 1964 Virginia Reel Rally

      Off topic: I believe that was the 1965  Twelve Hours that Stewart was the first out and the Mouat Mustang second out.
      (My only trip to Marlboro.)

      Cheers,

      Andrew Sturgess

      On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Rick Mandelson <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

      My God Buzz, your upside down.

      Jackie Steward’s Cortina is now owned by Dan Davis, Owner / Editor of Vintage Oval Racing and Victory Lane Magazines.

      Rick