4180Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Gordon's Shop

  • slosilveralfa173
    Jun 17, 2013
      could have been Bill Marriott's dad, Big Bill trying to sell the early Miura little Bill brought home from Italy ; >

      From: "David&Carol" <scshmoo@...>
      To: "Marlboro Raceway" <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:36:16 PM
      Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Gordon's Shop

      Hi Don,

      I do not think Gordon ever had a shop on Piney Branch.

      His shop on Plyers Mill did expand into the space next door then later he moved out to Gaithersburg.

      On 13 Jun 2013, at 20:15, Don Haines wrote:

      Hi All,

         Did Gordon ever have a shop on Piney Branch Road, just south of University Blvd.?  For some reason, I seem to remember walking from my apt. at Knob Hill Apts with my then wife, and there was this little shop (about the size of a carry out pizza shop) just down the hill from University Blvd. There was a Lamborghini Miura in the show window. This would have been around 1967-68.

      Don Haines
      727-487-2361 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI)

      See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      From: scshmoo@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:34:37 -1000
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Check out this video

      Hi Ray,

      Gordon's Father was Gordon Russel Tatum, Sr. He worked at the Applied Physics Lab (APL/JHU 8621 Georgia Ave) in Silver Spring during the war developing the VT proximity fuse for artillery shells. In the early 1950s he left APL/JHU and founded Vitro Labs. First located across from Pumphery's Funeral Home above the Masons. The nice building on Georgia  Ave extended beyond Olney was built toward the end of the 1950s.

      Gordon had the shop on 3837  Plyers Mill Road in Kensington (behind the fire house). Charlie used it as a base and showroom.

      Bob Hurt was a male model and very good driver. I think he raced sports cars before he was 21.  He never crashed at Marlboro. His injury happened during practice for the 1968  Indy 500. He was driving #14 Quaker State and backed into the SW turn wall. A suspension part or the roll bar was pushed into his neck. He was paralysed for the rest of his life.

      On 12 Jun 2013, at 12:08, Ray Fleming wrote:

      RE: Ferrari prices...in about '66 or so, there was a used car lot on the west side of US1, right at a light about 100 yards south of the US1/DC beltway interchange. They had a 250GT SWB Berlinetta, painted kinda bright yellow, with a price of $3,995. on the hood. I stopped my Volvo 123-GT to look at it. It had obviously undergone some quick and dirty bodywork, and at the time, I was making about $500 bucks a month with a baby, so, end of story.

      Also, am I getting Gordon Tatum and Charlie Hayes confused? I know that Hayes had a shop in Kensington, because In about 63 or 64, he did a tuneup on my 54 TR-2. In his showroom, there sat a red Ferrari (a Testa Rosa, I think), and on that day I met a guy named Hal Booher who became a lifelong SCCA/dirtbike/taildragger flying buddy. At the time, he raced a white Elva Courier; some of you may remember Hal. (We were both getting a Hayes-hosing that day.)

      Also, wasn't Tatum the son of the guy that owned Vitro Laboratories in northern Montgomery Co?

      Lastly, my recollection is that it was Bob Hurt who wrecked his Ferrari in the chicane, and further, that he was then a full or semi-parapalegic for the rest of his life. Can anyone verify that. And, I thought he was real young at that time; where did he get all that dough?