3693Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] List of "All" Marlboro Events [1 Attachment]

    Apr 11, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      Thank you for compiling this list.

      There was a night race at Marlboro for sports cars, do not know who sanctioned it.

      The date was Friday 13 September 1963 and there were eight races. Four of four laps and four of 15 laps. These races may have been in connection with the driver's school that was held about this same time.

      Some of the drivers mentioned are: Tullius, Mion, Gilmartin, Canfield, Harris, Torpy, Taylor and Hironaka.  Sixty five cars were entered.

      Ev Gardner mentioned it as an upcoming event in the Friday Daily News. Do not know if there was a subsequent report. It is not mentioned in the Monday Gardner column.

      Do you know anything about this event?

      On 10 Apr 2012, at 14:33, Mike Matune wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

      Some time ago, the idea of compiling a list of all events held at Marlboro was made. Attached is a first draft of such a list. As you can see, it is still very much a work in progress with numerous holes to be filled. We ask that you look through it and see what information you may hold that will help us complete the list. We will take it in whatever form is convenient.

      Numerous members contributed to this draft including Steve Knoll and Steve Lloyd. Special mention must be made of the work that Terry O'Neil and Larry Jendras did in not only supplying information, but also in continuingly reviewing the many versions and in answering innumerable questions. Thanks to all.

      To initiate the list we started with a list of events Terry O'Neil had developed for his upcoming book on Sports Car Racing in the Mid-Atlantic area. To this we added Steve Knoll's inventory of Bill Dobbins photos and an event schedule from a 1964 Race Program. From there it was a matter of combining information from  a number of period publications and introducing Larry Jendras' excellent work on the non-Sports Car events.

      Thanks to all who have and will contribute.

      Take care,

      Mike Matune

      Attachment(s) from Mike Matune

      1 of 1 File(s)