      From: Terry Oneil <pact.terryoneil@...>
      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, November 1, 2010 3:06:22 AM
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Found a web site full of information

      Hi Andrew,
      I'm certainly not defending the site in qustion (which I think found most of the information from another site but in a different format) but getting accurate information from events 40, 50 or 60 years ago is nigh impossible. I know as I have thumbed my way through countless entry lists and race reports. SCCA reports are not exempt in this respect. Unfortunately no two people seem to agree on some name spellings. My published books would support my theory.
      Kindest regards
      Terry
      From: gtracer66@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:53:01 -0400

      It is a pretty ambitious site. Due to the limited space on the site, there is just not enough room to document every race or race series. And going back as far as it does, there is a lot of information found there that may be otherwise hard to find.

       Unfortunately, the information on the site includes only results from bigger events. So in the case of some drivers, you may find rather dismal results in these events.  It leaves out results from races that may have made up the bulk of a driver's career.  So a driver who may have been a multiple SCCA National champion (just an example) and then entered a couple Trans-Am events or had a single shot at LeMans with less than stellar results, will only be shown looking like an average or below average driver. We all know drivers that focused their entire careers in classes like FV,FF,HP and so on.  They never wanted to or never had the chance to drive in the "big" events.  Racing at every level brings out truly fierce competition and outstanding performances.
        Our boy Rick was known as "Regional Rick" because he stuck mostly close to home.   Who knows what he might have done had somebody offered him a ride at LeMans in a car capable of winning. I mean you just never know. Winking smile    I'm just picking on Rick 'cuz he's a friend who I admired as a driver. But i'm sure we all know others like this.

      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      From: ajyes72@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:13:24 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Found a web site full of information [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Andrew Sturgess included below]
      I'm afraid some of this information may be suspect. For instance, the 66 Trans Am race at Green Valley, won by Dan Gurney by an eyelash
      over Parnelli Jones driving Mercury Cougars, shows Rex McDaniel as an entrant. Rex is Richard's son, Richard did drive in the race. I think Rex was driving a skateboard in those days. Richard is only credited with a drive at Sebring and his three SCCA Runoff championships seem to be neglected.

      Pretty ambitious site! I had high hopes when I started.

      Attachment picture "borrowed" from www.ferrarichat.com  Love the way the flagmen stood on the track. I'm sure the haybales provided adequate protection.