1258Re: Athletes?

  • Ronald D. Polimeni
    Mar 2, 2008
      I believe that remark regarding the relative girth of drivers and
      tires was originally made by Froilan Gonzalez as he was looking at a
      modern F-1 car long after his retirement . Ron.

      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson"
      <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

      > Don
      >
      > You've got a case of the gray hair..................
      >
      > Most of the drivers in the old days were slim and there are pictures
      to prove it.

      > Rick

      my latest issue of "Sports Car" from SCCA, featuring a driver profile,
      the initial reaction is to say that "no," drivers aren't athletes. The
      article in Sports Car relates the story of a portly gentleman who
      looks about as far from an athlete as possible -- downright portly and
      more a candidate for heart problems than success in a racing car. A
      walk through the paddock on any Summit Point SCCA Regional weekend
      would probably show a significant percentage of chunky, overweight
      drivers who certainly don't capture the image of the svelte, muscular
      people we see in tennis, marathons or bicycling. Yours truly ain't
      exactly Mr. Universe, himself! Then I thought about this again, and
      would have to say emphatically, that "yes," race drivers are athletes.
      They use their bodies, muscles, ednurance and minds to compete. If
      that isn't a sufficient practical understanding of the word, I can't
      imagine a better one. Some just do this "athlete thing" better than
      others. And if being in shape is a strict requirement for athletes, I
      dare say there are hundreds, if not thousands, of summertime softball
      players -- to cite just one example -- who are in no better shape
      physically than Joe Regional racing his Mazda. A cursory examination
      of any weekend's amateur golfers would probably yield the same
      results. But who would ever consider saying that softball players or
      golfers aren't athletes?

      > To those, espceially the "stick and ball" types who believe
      racing drivers aren't athletes, I would suggest that your definition
      of the word is probably limited, and more than likely does not bear
      close scrutiny.
      > Steve Lloyd
      >
      > Bob Storck <bstorck@...> wrote:
      > I've grown weary arguing with the readers and writers of the
      sports
      > pages as to whether race drivers are athletes ... some
      "traditionalists"
      > resist even categorizing drivers as "Sportsmen" implying that
      by relying
      > on an unclean internal combustion engine, they themselves are
      not worthy.

      > Just because those lauded by the sports media do so in front of
      > audiences, I find it hard to not raise questions about golfers,
      > synchronized swimmers or jockeys. Such questions are
      guaranteed to
      > create glowering looks of pity at my obvious stupidity.
      >
      > Just now I stumbled across a program showing a conclave of
      Bass Anglers
      > gathered in some poor unsuspecting lake. The announcers had no
      problem
      > describing those grown up "good ol' boys" as athletes!
      >
      > With thinking like this, TV programming and the Presidential
      Election
      > process becomes more understandable ... no less sad and
      tawdry, but more
      > understandable. And I understand the appeal of crystal meth
      better!

      Mobile. Try it now.

      > Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
      > Don Haines Photography
      > Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
      > Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
      > www.donhainesphotography.com
      > 727-643-5619

      Try it now.