effect of US low level sonar on whales

  • healka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
      can anyone provide scientific proof that the low level sonar now
      being used by the US navy can cause "the bends", stranding, abortions
      and drastic migratory change in the worlds whaling population...i
      need technical stuff not newspaper articles etc.....
      thanks
      healka@...
    • Dementia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
        On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, healka wrote:

        > can anyone provide scientific proof that the low level sonar now
        > being used by the US navy can cause "the bends", stranding, abortions
        > and drastic migratory change in the worlds whaling population...i
        > need technical stuff not newspaper articles etc.....
        > thanks
        > healka@...

        This should be a good start:

        Frantzis, A. 1998. Does acoustic testing strand whales? Nature 392:29.

        Jefferson, T.A., S. Leatherwood and M.A. Webber. 1993. Marine mammals of
        the world. United Nations Environment Programme FAO Species
        Identification Guide, Rome.

        Richardson, W.J., C.R. Greene, C.I. Malme and D.H. Thomson. 1995. Marine
        mammals and noise. Academic Press, San Diego.

        Wilder, R. 1998. Listening to the Sea. University of Pittsburgh Press.

        Balcomb, K.C. and D.E. Claridge. 2001. A mass stranding of cetaceans
        caused by naval sonar
        in the Bahamas. Bahamas J. Science 8:2-12.

        Croll, D.A., C.W. Clark, J. Calambokidis, W.T. Ellison, and B.R. Tershy.
        2001. Effect of anthropogenic
        low-frequency noise on the ecology of Balaenoptera whales. Anim. Cons.
        4:13-27.

        Kastak, D., R.J. Schusterman, B.L. Southall, and C.J. Reichmuth. 1999.
        Underwater temporary
        threshold shift induced by octave-band noise in three species of pinniped.
        J. Acoust. Soc.
        Am. 106:1142-1148.

        Miller, P.J.O., N. Biassoni, A. Samuels, and P.L. Tyack. 2000. Whale songs
        lengthen in response
        to sonar. Nature 405:903.

        Nachtigall, P.E., A. Supin, J.L. Pawloski, and W.W.L. Au. 2001. Evoked
        auditory potentials
        measuring recovery from temporary threshold shifts in the bottlenosed
        dolphin Tursiops truncatus.
        In Abstracts: 14th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals.
        November 28 - December
        3, p. 153.

        National Marine Fisheries Service. 2000. Update on the mass stranding in
        the Bahamas. MMPA
        Bulletin 19/20:3.

        National Research Council. 2000. Marine Mammals and Low Frequency Sound:
        Progress Since 1994.
        National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. pp. 146.

        Richardson, W.J., C.R. Greene, jr., C.I. Malme, and D.H. Thomson. 1995.
        Marine Mammals and
        Noise. Academic Press, San Diego. 576 pp.

        Ridgway, S.H., Carder, D.A., Kamolnick, T., Smith, R.R., Schlundt, C.E.
        and Elsberry, W.R.
        1997. Behavioral responses and temporary shift in masked hearing
        threshold of bottlenose
        dolphins, Tursiops truncatus, to 1-second pure tones of 141 to 201 dB re 1
        microPa. Technical
        Report 1751, July 1997. Naval Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance
        Center, RDT&E Division,
        San Diego, CA. 16 pp. + app.

        Schlundt, C.E., J.J. Finneran, D.A. Carder, and S.H. Ridgway. 2000.
        Temporary threshold shift
        in masked hearing thresholds of bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus,
        and white whales,
        Delphinapterus leucas, after exposure to intense tones. J. Acoust. Soc.
        Am. 107:3496-3508.

        Tyack, P.L. and C.W. Clark. 1998. Quicklook: Playback of low frequency
        sound to gray whales
        migrating past the central California coast in January 1998. 55 pp.