unpaid internship announcement

  • Dementia
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2004
      This is an unpaid summer internship position. Housing is provided. Must
      have completed at least two years of college (i.e., be entering junior
      or senior year in fall 2004) or more (graduates are OK). Intern must
      have vehicle for own transportation (the field station is relatively
      remote). Given the short notice of this announcement and difficulty with
      international travel, US residents only.

      The Fisheries Habitat Ecology Program is conducting research that can be
      directly applied to conservation and management policy formulation.
      Among our primary research interests is examining the connection between
      nursery and adult habitats for fish species that undergo ontogenetic
      habitat shifts. Some of our current research addresses the connection
      between settlement and post-settlement abundance, nursery habitat use,
      and adult abundance for species that undergo ontogenetic habitat shifts.
      Species of particular concern in Charlotte Harbor are Centropomus
      undecimalis, and Sciaenops ocellatus. We are also using a comparative
      approach to examine use of multiple habitats by fishes and anthropogenic
      impacts on these habitats. We are presently conducting research in
      Charlotte Harbor and the Florida Keys. An intern would be involved in
      field work in both locations and would assist with associated projects.

      Examples of possible projects for summer 2004: ^Õ Assemble an otolith and
      scale database for prey species of common snook in Charlotte Harbor, and
      use this database to determine prey consumed by snook by examining
      stomach contents. ^Õ Test a new chronographic tethering device and
      conduct experiments on rates of predation of juvenile fishes. ^Õ Assist
      in the creation and testing of a remote sampling tool that will allow us
      to census tagged fishes with a passive array. This will involve
      conducting an experiment to determine the efficacy of the new sampling
      tool (and may involve computer programming for the remote computer
      terminal). ^Õ Conduct experiments to validate daily growth rings in
      otoliths of juvenile permit and bonefish, and age.

      Position closed when filled.

      Resume and cover letter may be submitted by email, fax, or mail.

      email: aadams@...
      fax: 239-283-2466
      mail:
      Fisheries Habitat Ecology Program
      Mote Marine Lab
      Charlotte Harbor Field Station
      P.O. Box 2197
      Pineland, FL 33945

      Please do not send this message to the list itself. Thank you.
      MARBIO originates at Mote Marine Laboratory, Sarasota, FL USA
      http://www.mote.org