New to list.

  • Hank Carr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2005
      Hello reef enthusiasts.

      I'm new to this list but not to marine aquariums. I started with a
      90 gallon reef tank back in the mid-80s. My wife, daughter, and I
      built a straw bale house near Spencerville (30 minutes south of
      Ottawa and 15 minutes north of Ogdensburg) and I've got a purpose
      built wet room and a space on the plans for a 270 gallon reef. For
      the past 20 years I've been running a wet/dry filter but on the
      advice of the guys who run Marinescape in Ottawa I threw out the
      filter and switched to an in-tank live sand bed. What a difference!
      I'm having more success now than I've ever had with my aquarium.

      My wife was very reticent to have the 90 gallon tank in the house
      because she had never seen it being relatively poorly cared for where
      it was parked in my parent's living room while we were building our
      house. I put my foot down, got the tank moved in, got it up and
      running well, and now they are HER fish in MY aquarium. We acquired
      a gorgeous proven pair of tomato clowns named Fred and Barney several
      months ago that they have recently spawned for the first time. Now
      there is a LOT of excitement about the aquarium and I've been able to
      get a couple of 10 gallon tanks for raising fry and I'm setting up my
      old 25 gallon tank as a spawning tank.

      Has anyone here raised clownfish fry? Are you willing to share your
      experiences?

      Thanks,

      Hank.
    • Antonios
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
        --- In MarineReefTank@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Carr" <hank@d...> wrote:
        > Hello reef enthusiasts.

        Dont know anything about raising the fry, but sure sounds like an
        interesting challenge. Have fun!!

        Do you keep any corals?

        > I'm new to this list but not to marine aquariums. I started with
        > 90 gallon reef tank back in the mid-80s. My wife, daughter, and I
        > built a straw bale house near Spencerville (30 minutes south of
        > Ottawa and 15 minutes north of Ogdensburg) and I've got a purpose
        > built wet room and a space on the plans for a 270 gallon reef.
        For
        > the past 20 years I've been running a wet/dry filter but on the
        > advice of the guys who run Marinescape in Ottawa I threw out the
        > filter and switched to an in-tank live sand bed. What a
        difference!
        > I'm having more success now than I've ever had with my aquarium.
        >
        > My wife was very reticent to have the 90 gallon tank in the house
        > because she had never seen it being relatively poorly cared for
        where
        > it was parked in my parent's living room while we were building
        our
        > house. I put my foot down, got the tank moved in, got it up and
        > running well, and now they are HER fish in MY aquarium. We
        acquired
        > a gorgeous proven pair of tomato clowns named Fred and Barney
        several
        > months ago that they have recently spawned for the first time.
        Now
        > there is a LOT of excitement about the aquarium and I've been able
        > get a couple of 10 gallon tanks for raising fry and I'm setting up
        my
        > old 25 gallon tank as a spawning tank.
        >
        > Has anyone here raised clownfish fry? Are you willing to share
        your
        > experiences?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Hank.
      • Hank Carr
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2005
          > Dont know anything about raising the fry, but sure
          > sounds like an interesting challenge. Have fun!!

          Thanks. I've been reading a lot and am now at the point that I'm looking
          for a supplier of algae and rotifers.

          > Do you keep any corals?

          I've tried from time to time to keep corals but without much success. In
          the past my mushrooms have done fairly well (this is 12 years or so ago.)
          This time around I've got the tank setup and working fairly well and am
          about to start adding corals. I haven't been doing water changes (which I
          know I'm supposed to do.) The guys at Marinescape suggest 10 to 15 percent
          every six to eight weeks. I've always heard 10% every four weeks.

          I did try some yellow polyps a few months ago and recently some green star
          polyp but both failed to thrive and eventually withered away.

          We've been using a calcium and trace element additive and are going to get
          the water changes happening. Anything that anyone can offer in terms of a
          good starting place for maintenance and choices of animals to get me rolling
          would be much appreciated.

          Of course, I'll be doing this, taking care of my wife and a newborn
          following a C-section this Friday, and trying to get my clownfish farming
          operation up and running.

          Hank.