mallet technique

  • ecf1001
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2003
      Hello All,

      As it turned out, after years of not being used my mallet technique
      has faded considerably (suprise), so now I find myself spending most
      of my time with the ML on doing the excersices, whatever I can
      remember from the high school days. I'd like to ask more experienced
      players for some advice...

      I've scoured the internet for excercises and educational information,
      found heaps of drum related stuff, some of it very helpful, but not a
      whole lot of anything mallet specific, just random bits and pieces.
      Given how easy it is to teach yourself something the wrong way, along
      with 2 and 4 mallet technique, I'm interested in the specifics of the
      basics: hand/wrist position, posture, intricacies of holding the
      mallets the right way, the proper stroke, etc.. Lessons, excercies,
      instruction, articles, suggestions - anything will do. :) Is there a
      good place on the net or specific books that I should look into?

      Also, how do you deal with the mallet size and avoid having one
      mallet "catch" (for a lack of a better term) another when playing
      cross hand? That foam sure got some grabbing power.

      By the way, Joel's performance was wonderful and illuminating. Really
      glad I got to meet him. Thanks, Mark!

      Cheers,
      Alex