A (hopefully) simple programming question

  • abcd wxyz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Am still learning and programming a lot but have yet
      to find a simple way to trigger
      incremental/decremental patch changes to external
      synths. Specifically, I would like to use one of the
      pads to advance the synth to the next patch and
      another pad to go to the previous patch. With this, I
      could quickly index through a new synthesizer's sounds
      to find ones that I like. I am probably missing
      something incredibly obvious but has anyone else done
      this?
      Regards, Jeff

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
        Mark will probably have an answer. If not, I'll give this a try later this
        week when I get a chance.

        -Grant

        > From: abcd wxyz <jcsveth@...>
        > Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:05:16 -0800 (PST)
        > To: MarimbaLuminaries@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [ML] A (hopefully) simple programming question
        >
        > Am still learning and programming a lot but have yet
        > to find a simple way to trigger
        > incremental/decremental patch changes to external
        > synths. Specifically, I would like to use one of the
        > pads to advance the synth to the next patch and
        > another pad to go to the previous patch. With this, I
        > could quickly index through a new synthesizer's sounds
        > to find ones that I like. I am probably missing
        > something incredibly obvious but has anyone else done
        > this?
        > Regards, Jeff
      • Mark Goldstein
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          Hello All,

          Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to solve Jeff's general
          problem. There is no MIDI command for previous/next program so I don't
          think you can use any MIDI controller to index through a synth's
          patches. You can write a MAX patch that will iterate over any
          *channel's* program numbers (MSB/LSB/PROGRAM) and some synths have the
          ability to interpret program changes on an assigned "base channel" to
          change the selected program, rather than one channel's program. The
          lumina can send program changes (it's one of the MIDI objects) so you
          could program up to 50 different changes into a lumina program, one per
          patch.

          Some synths accept sysex commands that mimic all their front panel
          button functions. In that case you could also write a MAX patch that
          acts as if you were poking buttons and indexing through the synths
          sounds. But the Lumina does not have the ability to send arbitrary
          sysex messages.

          Hope this is helpful, though it appears there is no simple solution for
          Jeff.

          Regards,
          -Mark