Residents Tour 2002

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
      I just found out today that The Residents are touring again very soon.

      http://www.residents.com/shows/demons.html

      Last time they toured with the Marimba Lumina (which was directly
      responsible for me obtaining mine). I don't know if they will again but I
      would imagine so. Might be worth keeping an eye on if you want to check out
      the Lumina live :)

      -Grant
    • flow_and_rhythm
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2002
        Grant, thanks for the tip about the Residents. Looks like they'll be
        playing here in Seattle, lucky me!

        Also, hi everyone!

        I'm a long-time lurker who plans to finally place that fateful Lumina
        order at the beginning of 2003. My interests in the ML are threefold:
        First, I've been on a long quest for an expressive electronic music
        controller that hits my musical 'sweet spot'. I have reasons to
        believe that the ML and I will get along very, very nicely. Second,
        I've recently become interested in Shona marimba music from Zimbabwe.
        Third, both jMax and my Nord Modular have been whining and crying for
        one incessantly. 8-)

        -- John
      • Chuck Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2002
          does anybody know what instrumentation they use, or is the music, like
          rock, or jazz or ???

          the website art is great, lyrics cool-strange enough, but i've never heard
          them.

          cf

          At 07:19 PM 10/22/02 +0000, you wrote:
          >Grant, thanks for the tip about the Residents. Looks like they'll be
          >playing here in Seattle, lucky me!
          >
          >Also, hi everyone!
          >
          >I'm a long-time lurker who plans to finally place that fateful Lumina
          >order at the beginning of 2003. My interests in the ML are threefold:
          >First, I've been on a long quest for an expressive electronic music
          >controller that hits my musical 'sweet spot'. I have reasons to
          >believe that the ML and I will get along very, very nicely. Second,
          >I've recently become interested in Shona marimba music from Zimbabwe.
          >Third, both jMax and my Nord Modular have been whining and crying for
          >one incessantly. 8-)
          >
          >-- John

          \\|//
          (o o)
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Please address replies to:

          Chuck Fisher

          chuck@...

          http://www.riveting.com

        • Grant
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2002
            John,

            Glad to have you aboard. This list is a little quiet but there are people
            here reading. Where there's something to be said we say it and when there's
            something to respond to we respond! Otherwise I think we all just hibernate.

            What's a jMax?
            (yeah, I could go Google it but you brought it up so fill us in!)

            I too have a Nord Modular. I haven't done as much with it and the ML as I'd
            like, as playing with the NM is a whole world in itself, but to me the two
            offer an ultimate in flexibility with the ML being a control freak and the
            NM being the ultimate in controllable.

            My latest acquisition is a Fostex VF-160 recorder. I've been spending my
            spare time trying to figure it out and I think I have a halfway decent grip
            on it. I hope to be laying down some tracks of something soon.

            -Grant

            > From: "flow_and_rhythm" <whitley@...>
            > Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:19:33 -0000
            > To: MarimbaLuminaries@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [ML] Re: Residents Tour 2002
            >
            > Grant, thanks for the tip about the Residents. Looks like they'll be
            > playing here in Seattle, lucky me!
            >
            > Also, hi everyone!
            >
            > I'm a long-time lurker who plans to finally place that fateful Lumina
            > order at the beginning of 2003. My interests in the ML are threefold:
            > First, I've been on a long quest for an expressive electronic music
            > controller that hits my musical 'sweet spot'. I have reasons to
            > believe that the ML and I will get along very, very nicely. Second,
            > I've recently become interested in Shona marimba music from Zimbabwe.
            > Third, both jMax and my Nord Modular have been whining and crying for
            > one incessantly. 8-)
            >
            > -- John
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2002
              Hmmm... that's a toughy.

              FROM AMG :
              Styles: Mixed Media, No Wave, Post-Punk, United States of America,
              Experimental, Avant-Garde

              http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=Bh8jgtq7ztu45

              I'd kind of lean toward Experimental-Avant-Garde with a little Rock mixed in
              from time to time. It changes quite a lot between the early years and today.

              Honestly.... it's very strange stuff but I guess that's why I find it most
              interesting. They've made a lot of use of samplers here and there over the
              years and are now using the ML to control some of them. I think the ML might
              have enabled them to perform some of their newer stuff live. There are
              guitars and guirtar-like things and of course some synths mixed in. If you
              want a sample of some of the newer stuff, pick up a copy of "Petting Zoo" at
              your local music store. It's kind of a soft intro to The Residents and it
              only costs $8 so you won't feel too bad if you can't take it and have to
              give it to someone else :) You could also try the sound clips at Amazon or
              somewhere like that.

              -Grant

              > From: Chuck Fisher <chuck@...>
              > Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:56:22 -0700
              > To: MarimbaLuminaries@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [ML] Re: Residents Tour 2002
              >
              > does anybody know what instrumentation they use, or is the music, like
              > rock, or jazz or ???
              >
              > the website art is great, lyrics cool-strange enough, but i've never heard
              > them.
              >
              > cf
            • flow_and_rhythm
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
                [Hi! I was away on vacation.]

                Grant <grant@g...> wrote:
                > What's a jMax?

                jMax is a sort of visual programming language for real-time audio and
                MIDI processing. It's in the same family as Cycling '74's Max/MSP
                (www.cycling74.com) and Miller Puckette's Pure Data (aka 'pd'). All
                of these derive from the original Max application written by Miller at
                IRCAM (www.ircam.fr) in days of yore...

                jMax version 4 is nearing release and will be supported on MacOS X,
                Windows, and Linux environments. It freely available from
                SourceForge, at the following URL. Note that version 4 is still in
                beta, so it'd be a good idea to wait unless you're feeling especially
                intrepid.

                http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmax/

                > I too have a Nord Modular. I haven't done as much with it and the
                > ML as I'd like [...]

                I have a specific toy project which I plan on trying out first. Use
                the Modular to simulate a Shona marimba-style resonator. Similar to a
                standard western marimba resonator, the Shona instruments cap the
                resonator tube and add a kazoo-like 'buzzer'. This creates a
                pitch-related drone underneath the main tone. When I first heard this
                in isolation on a single instrument, it was odd, if not somewhat
                annoying. Then I heard a concert troupe play, and understood. When
                an ensemble plays, the drones meld and transform. I haven't yet
                sussed out what's happening perceptually, but the result is rather
                mesmerizing and very cool.

                Once this is done, the next step is to play with some formant
                synthesis and filtering, controlling it all via the ML. The goal is
                to add an overtone singing type of quality to the synthesized drone.
                I figure the effect will be akin to the offsping of a pipe organ and
                a digeridu. 8-)

                In due course, I plan on dropping some commercial software synthesis
                applications into the mix, such as Reason and GigaSampler. From
                there, the sky's the limit!

                Later,
                John