Happy New Year

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
      Just thought I'd send a message out to the group so Yahoo doesn't think it's
      abandoned and delete it or anything.

      Anyone up to anything new this year?

      I'm still using the ML with the built-in sounds and to control the Nord
      Modular. No new earth shattering discoveries on that front.

      -Grant
    • Chuck Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
        im just now adapting to trying to play with absolute pitch bend and not
        sound like yusef latif unintentionally. this thing is so very cool, im
        glad i got it. i need an acccellerated ml programming lesson i
        think. ive got such a huge compuond learning curve, with 3 new instruments
        this year. i want to rig up a controller patch to switch between
        absolute, relative and no pitch bend..., and another with additional tuning
        maps combined with the forementioned patch.

        i like ml as a bass instrument. i need more time to geek on this thing,
        but having fun.

        best of new years to you all,

        cf

        At 09:53 PM 2/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >Just thought I'd send a message out to the group so Yahoo doesn't think it's
        >abandoned and delete it or anything.
        >
        >Anyone up to anything new this year?
        >
        >I'm still using the ML with the built-in sounds and to control the Nord
        >Modular. No new earth shattering discoveries on that front.
        >
        >-Grant

        \\|//
        (o o)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Please address replies to:

        Chuck Fisher

        chuck@...

        http://www.riveting.com

      • kvetch@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2002
          Greetings from Montreal.

          I'm on a little concert tour, performing solo with both
          lightning wands and Lumina. Here at McGill in the past two
          days I've given three different two hour presentations.
          They were video taped and I'm curious to review what I
          said each time... From here I'm off to Boston (Tufts/
          Berklee) and then the Berkshires and NYC.

          Some of the new stuff I've worked up on the lumina:
          Debussy's Syrinx (solo singing flute line)
          Flight of the Bumblebee (one-handed)
          Hovhaness, Bacchanale (big percussion ensemble piece)
          Maiden Voyage (full Herbie Chords, 2 mallets 6 notes)
          Freedom Jazz Dance/Sunny Moon for Two (fun jazz layer
          thang: drums, keyboards, tuning tables, footwork, loops,
          etc)

          Also showed patches used for symphonic performance of
          Holst, �The Planets��where the Lumina covered the organ
          and celeste parts, and doubled one of the offstage choirs.

          I am eager to return home and start using the instrument
          with Max/MSP synthesis. I saw some cool stuff here at
          McGill and I'm going to collaborate with a few of the UC
          Berkeley computer music folks who are old friends.

          The year is off to a good start.

          -Mark

          P.S. Apropos Chuck's pitch bend wish. You can switch
          between the three pitch bend modes pretty easily. One way
          is attach the controller on different foot switches (say
          switch 1 for AbsLoC and switch 2 for Rel Loc) or use
          different mallets for the different types of bend. Lifting
          the mallet usually disconnects the controller and
          recenters bend so in the footswitch case you would get no
          bend,