Grant's deal of the month...

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2001
      Yup I went and did it again... bought more stuff I don't really need (I
      think I'd buy a coffee maker with a MIDI interface if I could control the
      brew with a control channel).

      This time it's the Red Sound DarkStar for $200. It's an 8 voice virtual
      analog with two oscillators per voice and has some interesting
      possibilities for control from the ML. Most of the filter and modulation
      characteristics are controllable through midi control channels. If you
      want a "decent" cheesy analog sound for something you're doing this might
      be a good bet. The thing has a bunch of knobs on it which are very usable
      yet it's a little squirrely to program. I think it's because ever knob
      does more than one thing and you've got to use shift buttons and such to
      get to them. Like the MO-FX effect unit I got a while back I think this
      thing is mainly geared toward DJ use (it has RCA outs) but it's
      intersting nonetheless.

      You can find it on sale for $200 at zzounds:
      http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.REDDARKSTAR&z=1223773183985

      The manual with MIDI implementation can be found at Red Sound:
      http://www.redsound.com/

      -Grant
    • Chuck Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2001
        Grant,

        I saw that unit on the net, and i found the joystick-controller kind of
        interesting. i listened to the audio clips on musicians friend and they
        werent too great. Does this thing sound fat-warm??? is it noisy?

        on other voices for the ML front, i've got a mint E-3 Emulator keyboard
        with SCSI and max-ram. I'm not sure of its value, butr its 16-bit high end
        stuff, has a sequencer, filters, kicks butt. It was just gone through by
        the EMU service department. I want to sell this, if anybody is
        interested, reply to me off-list.

        Regards,

        Chuck

        At 10:58 AM 11/17/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >Yup I went and did it again... bought more stuff I don't really need (I
        >think I'd buy a coffee maker with a MIDI interface if I could control the
        >brew with a control channel).
        >
        >This time it's the Red Sound DarkStar for $200. It's an 8 voice virtual
        >analog with two oscillators per voice and has some interesting
        >possibilities for control from the ML. Most of the filter and modulation
        >characteristics are controllable through midi control channels. If you
        >want a "decent" cheesy analog sound for something you're doing this might
        >be a good bet. The thing has a bunch of knobs on it which are very usable
        >yet it's a little squirrely to program. I think it's because ever knob
        >does more than one thing and you've got to use shift buttons and such to
        >get to them. Like the MO-FX effect unit I got a while back I think this
        >thing is mainly geared toward DJ use (it has RCA outs) but it's
        >intersting nonetheless.
        >
        >You can find it on sale for $200 at zzounds:
        > http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.REDDARKSTAR&z=1223773183985
        >
        >The manual with MIDI implementation can be found at Red Sound:
        > http://www.redsound.com/
        >
        >-Grant

        \\|//
        (o o)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Please address replies to:

        Chuck Fisher

        chuck@...

        http://www.riveting.com

      • Grant
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2001
          Fat-warm? It's not a ballpark frank but I guess it's tolerable. It's
          noise sources can help things a little bit if you want to use one as the
          second oscillator. It doesn't have any built-in effect gimmicks and could
          probably benefit from being run throught some external effects with some
          chorus and a little bit of distortion. The audio clips do reasonable
          justice to the sound it can produce yet I think they are a little
          contrained to certain types of sounds the marketing types think people
          are looking for. I think that's why I thought it was "decent" rather than
          "great" or "spectacular". But if you're looking for something that will
          allow you to emulate standard subtractive synthesis and have pretty
          decent MIDI control then it's not too bad of a deal for $200.

          -Grant