Re: [Marbling] methocel

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2002
      > The recipes I have come across for using methocel require the addition of a
      > bit of ammonia. Is ammonia necessary and if so what does the ammonia do,
      > change the pH? If it is used to change the pH can another alkaline solution
      > be used. Which leads me to another question regarding pH. What should the
      > pH of the size be and does the pH of the size need to be changed for
      > different applications.
      >
      > Su - Medicine Hat, Ab
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Hello Su,

      Methyl cel solutions. Are you using distilled water? If not, unless your
      water is naturally soft, you will need to soften it besides monkey with the
      PH. For most methyl cel types, I think there are about 8, you¹ll need to
      raise the water PH to about 7-8 to keep the solution in suspension. That¹s
      too high for most pigments, and you have to lower it. Ammonia, ash and some
      water softener products will raise the PH for you. Distilled white vinegar
      bring lower it : you want 5-6. But the, it all depends on the water you
      are using.

      Best wishes, Gail