methocel

  • Susan Rex
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12 4:14 PM
      The recipes I have come across for using methocel require the addition of a
      bit of ammonia. Is ammonia necessary and if so what does the ammonia do,
      change the pH? If it is used to change the pH can another alkaline solution
      be used. Which leads me to another question regarding pH. What should the
      pH of the size be and does the pH of the size need to be changed for
      different applications.

      Su - Medicine Hat, Ab
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15 8:00 AM
        > The recipes I have come across for using methocel require the addition of a
        > bit of ammonia. Is ammonia necessary and if so what does the ammonia do,
        > change the pH? If it is used to change the pH can another alkaline solution
        > be used. Which leads me to another question regarding pH. What should the
        > pH of the size be and does the pH of the size need to be changed for
        > different applications.
        >
        > Su - Medicine Hat, Ab
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Hello Su,

        Methyl cel solutions. Are you using distilled water? If not, unless your
        water is naturally soft, you will need to soften it besides monkey with the
        PH. For most methyl cel types, I think there are about 8, you¹ll need to
        raise the water PH to about 7-8 to keep the solution in suspension. That¹s
        too high for most pigments, and you have to lower it. Ammonia, ash and some
        water softener products will raise the PH for you. Distilled white vinegar
        bring lower it : you want 5-6. But the, it all depends on the water you
        are using.

        Best wishes, Gail