raw Moss

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
      I neglected to mention that the moss I'd gotten from the local food coop was
      from Frontier Herb Cooperative. It was mostly a dark green color, with
      little bits of the lighter colored seaweed mixed in. The gel rapidly broke
      down.

      jake
    • Rob Brett
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002
        Dear Jake

        Sounds like the moss you bought was rather old and not bleached well. In
        Ireland where I used to buy seaweed they left it outside to be rained upon
        and bleached before drying. The bleached weed made a much better gel than
        the green or fresh. In the Scottish Hebrides where it is collected for
        making into pudding it is also given the same treatment. The company in
        Ireland whom I used to buy from were called Seaweed
        LtdCarabay,Connemara,S.Ireland but not sure if they still exist. You could
        try the Irish Export Board?

        Here in Africa other seaweeds are collected for their gel producing
        properties perhaps they should be tried too?

        Good Luck
        Katherine Brett (nee Davis)