Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 314

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2002
      on 3/8/02 7:25 PM, Marbling@yahoogroups.com at Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > There are 3 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Raw Moss for cooking
      > From: Jake Benson <jemiljan@...>
      > 2. Re: Raw Moss for cooking
      > From: "Guffey" <dguff@...>
      > 3. Re: Raw Moss for cooking
      > From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:41:30 -0500
      > From: Jake Benson <jemiljan@...>
      > Subject: Raw Moss for cooking
      >
      > Hello All,
      >
      > Does anyone know who has "Raw Moss" for sale. I'd prefer to discuss a
      > quanitity, and I use a lot. It has been a while since I experiemented, but
      > I'd like to try again.
      >
      > Jake Benson
      >

      > Benson's Hand Bindery
      > Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      > Hand Marbled Papers
      > 1319 B Summerville Ave.
      > Columbia S.C. 29201
      > Phone: 803.799.1853
      > jemiljan@...

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:23:33 -0800
      > From: "Guffey" <dguff@...>
      > Subject: Re: Raw Moss for cooking
      >
      > Jake,
      >
      > By Raw Moss, do you mean the dried carragheenan that you have to boil and
      > then strain? If so, I bought a large amount of it about 20 years ago from
      > Talas in N.Y. but after finding blender caragheenan I never boiled another
      > batch. If Talas no longer sells it, you can try a health foods store, one
      > that sells in bulk. Ask for "Irish Moss Tea". By the way, the best device
      > for straining is a cloth paint strainer (available at a paint store) much
      > better than panty hose which I used to use!
      >
      > Good Luck,
      >
      > d. guffey

      Hello fellow marblers,

      Bookmaker's also sells the moss. I've never gone and collected it the way
      that Iris or Katherine Davis have done. I'll see if FMC may have it. I've
      tried "health food store" variety- it isn't the same. I get a gel, but it's
      not as consistent. I understand the moss used to make the extract has a
      higher gel content....

      Frankly after trying tragacanth and fenugreek, I think the idea of cooking a
      straining moss- something that was acceptable to many a marbler for along
      time, is still worth pursuing. Who knows? may be I'll throw in the towel
      and pick up acrylics and methyl cellulose again. I'm all about not
      dismissing the past until I've tried it. So many things can be learned by
      doing it "the hard way", that I think have helped me to better understand
      marbling and improved my approach.

      regards,

      Jake Benson