Re: [Marbling] Raw Moss for cooking

  • Guffey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
      Jake,

      By Raw Moss, do you mean the dried carragheenan that you have to boil and
      then strain? If so, I bought a large amount of it about 20 years ago from
      Talas in N.Y. but after finding blender caragheenan I never boiled another
      batch. If Talas no longer sells it, you can try a health foods store, one
      that sells in bulk. Ask for "Irish Moss Tea". By the way, the best device
      for straining is a cloth paint strainer (available at a paint store) much
      better than panty hose which I used to use!

      Good Luck,

      d. guffey

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2002
        Jake.....Talas may yet have some old stock...have you tried them?

        Does this ever bring back memories!! Do you prefer all the trouble over the
        powder? I once collected some at the beach in Maine, it worked moderately
        well. The powder sure is expensive, but is consistent at least.

        Iris