Raw Moss for cooking

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 11:41 PM
      Hello All,

      Does anyone know who has "Raw Moss" for sale. I'd prefer to discuss a
      quanitity, and I use a lot. It has been a while since I experiemented, but
      I'd like to try again.

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      Phone: 803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...

    • Guffey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7 10:23 PM
        Jake,

        By Raw Moss, do you mean the dried carragheenan that you have to boil and
        then strain? If so, I bought a large amount of it about 20 years ago from
        Talas in N.Y. but after finding blender caragheenan I never boiled another
        batch. If Talas no longer sells it, you can try a health foods store, one
        that sells in bulk. Ask for "Irish Moss Tea". By the way, the best device
        for straining is a cloth paint strainer (available at a paint store) much
        better than panty hose which I used to use!

        Good Luck,

        d. guffey

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8 4:38 AM
          Jake.....Talas may yet have some old stock...have you tried them?

          Does this ever bring back memories!! Do you prefer all the trouble over the
          powder? I once collected some at the beach in Maine, it worked moderately
          well. The powder sure is expensive, but is consistent at least.

          Iris