Marbling Silk

  • Guffey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2002
      I have successfully marbled on silk for 10 years, using hand-rolled scarves
      purchased from Thai Silk www.thaisilks.com. I dip them in a alum solution
      and line dry. After drying you need to press lightly to get all the
      wrinkles out, then marble as you would paper. I use carrageen for the size
      (purchased from Colophon) and Liquitex acrylics (diluted to "splattering"
      consistency with distilled water). The silk is actually easier to marble
      than paper as it floats down on the size with ease. Rinse as you would
      paper, then line dry. After line drying I wash them by hand using a silk
      protein shampoo (silk is protein!) and rinse, line dry and iron.

      Silk does not like extreme changes in water temperature, so wash and rinse
      using lukewarm water. By the way, the acrylic paints dry very flexible, you
      do not even feel them after they dry on the silk.

      At first I only marbled on white, then discovered colored blank scarves and
      the results were much more dramatic. Using only black, gray & white as the
      marbling colors I laid the marbling pattern on the silk with the rich silk
      color coming through.

      If the length of your scarf is longer than your arm reach, attach the ends
      of the scarf to a very thin dowel. Hold the dowels with silk ends attached
      up in the air and let the center of the scarf touch the center of your
      marbling tray and then gently let each end down.

      d. guffey

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2002
        It's good to know that you can use Liquitex with water instead of the
        Marble Ease. I think I'll give that a try, as I suspected that the dull
        colors were from the marble ease evaporating.

        Jan