Re: [Marbling] paints

  • Jan Bond
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2002
      Hi Susan,

      I use the Pebeo marbling colors, as well as the Pebeo Setacolor
      irridescents, and I really like them. The marbling colors don't need any
      additives, but the irridescents need to be thinned. I usually mix them
      about 1 to 1 with distilled water. Some of the irridescents are quite
      pale, but others work well. The gold and copper are really nice.

      I tried Liquitex--you mix the regular artist acrylics with Liquitex Marble
      Ease marbling medium. The Marble Ease is quite toxic smelling, and has
      warnings about inhaling it. I loved the brilliance of the colors, and the
      Liquitex seemed to work on more papers than the Pebeo. But, when it dried
      the colors were really dull. I did salvage some of the papers by varnishing
      them with an acrylic medium. I haven't tried Liquitex on fabric.

      Jan
      Vancouver, BC

      At 10:35 AM 2/24/2002 -0800, you wrote:
      >I am new to the list and have spent some time reading archives but didn't
      >seem to find the answer to my question. I see reference to Golden and
      >Liquitex acrylic paints. Are these marbling paints or are these the same
      >acrylics that are used for painting pictures? If they are painters
      >arcylics, then with the liquitex do you use thick, medium or thin viscosity
      >and adjust them as necessary? The same question applies to the water colour
      >paints used for paper. Are these artists paints and is there a brand name
      >that is quite reliable and available in Canada?
      >
      >I did try a sample with the irridescent Setacolor but realized my paint was
      >either too thick or my size not thick enough. However, the results I did
      >get were quite thrilling. I use quite a bit of setacolor, for other
      >projects, and was wondering if anyone has tried Pebeo's marbling colors.
      >
      >One last question. What about the hand of the fabric? Does the acrylic
      >paint have much of an effect on the hand of silk scarves? I wouldn't be as
      >concerned with the hand of cotton.
      >
      >Susan - Medicine Hat, Ab

    • Sandy Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2002
        Hi Susan,

        I have marbled on several different cottons. I find the "hand" to not be
        much affected by the paints as only a very thin layer is adsorbed. The rest
        rinses off. The briliance on fabric was directly affected by the smoothness
        of the fabric. A 200 count muslin looked very sharp. A previosly dyed and
        brushed fabric looked dull. Many fabrics that are colored by the
        manufacturer will not take the paint!!! If you take a white fabric and dye
        it yourself it will probaply be fine. Something in the colorfasting process
        repells the paint I think.
        I have a beautiful silk scarf that I bought from a marbler that is very soft
        and pliant. I do not believe the paint affected the 'hand' of the silk at
        all.

        sandy in Fremont Ca.
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2002
          Hi!

          I used to do the street craft show in Fremont, and Palo Alto and Mountain
          View..etc. Check the label: have you got one of my scarves?? I¹d like to
          hear from you..how is it holding up, the colors and when you got it.

          Best wishes, Gail MacKenzie