Re: I tried it again!

  • hhumler
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2002
      Donna - don't be discouraged. I use ProChem everything with fantastic results. I don't know if you are
      still using that huge tank, but may i suggest that you start small - kitty litter sized pan and try
      marbling paper first. I have marbled in three very different locations - meaning different water
      sources each time and that can affect the methyl cel somewhat. i do not agree about the viscosity of
      the metyl cel - mine is just somewhat slimy but definetly is not thick enough to leave a trail in. I
      don find that the larger the tank, the more paint is needed, of course so to get a feel for it - start
      manll. My largest tank will hold two 54" x 9" scarves side by side. I get fabulous results. But i did
      start by doing paper and lots of it before i felt competent enough to try other stuff. i now marble
      cotton duck cloth for duffle bags, satin for wine bags, silk scarves and occasionally still marble plain
      cotton for other uses. It definetly is a trial and error process but oh so rewarding.
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2002

        Hello Donna,

        I¹ve been away for 2 weeks and missed the beginning of this. So here are
        some ideas and I hope it is not TOO late.

        The PH of the methyl cell solution must match that of the paints you are
        using. From the reaction of the pigments, I think your PH is most likely
        too high. You can lower the PH by adding distilled white vinegar. You¹ll
        need to get some PH tape with a range from 3 to 10. I work for a PH of 5.5
        to 6.5 never higher, and not much lower.

        Also, the temperature of the paint and the solution in the tray should be
        about the same. You¹ll soon realize that a really cold tray will cause the
        paints not to spread and to sink.

        I¹ve done about 2000 tee shirts in the not distant enough past, and I
        found that they ALL need to be prewashed. Some more than others. Dharma is
        NOT my favorite company. I have never gotten satisfactory results with any
        item or product they sell. Sometimes things are worst ...so they are not
        even consistently bad!!

        Best wishes and good luck!! Gail