Re: [Marbling] I tried it again!

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
      Donna,

      I've tried Pro Chem marbling colors and didn't like
      them at all. Every paint source has its own
      personality. Like people there are some that are a
      good match and some that aren't. It you want to keep
      using Pro Chem call and ask for their Research and
      Development Department or product customer service
      and ask them what surfactant they recommend to help
      the paints to spread. See if they can trouble shoot.
      You can try a few drops of rubbing alcohol added
      directly to paints to help them spread. Also possible
      is a solution of 10 drops of Dawn dish washing liquid
      in 1/4 cup water or Kodak Photo Flow (start with 1-3
      drops). You can also try thinning your bath some.
      When you pull a stylus straight through the bath it
      should be just thick enough to "hold a line".
      Otherwise forget Pro Chem and search for a new paint
      source. Earth Guild (800-EARTH GU)has a mail order
      business and sells a little kit with 6 Golden colors,
      methyl cellulose (don't know if it's the same source
      as Pro Chem) and a stylus for about $25. I've seen
      some paper marbled with Iris's paints that were nice.
      The marbler who used them said they worked great.

      Instead of wasting your scarves practice in a small
      area of the tank using paper towels, manilla art paper
      or newsprint to get an idea of how the paints are
      working. You don't have to alum those. Save the
      scarves you didn't like until you are getting better
      results and re-alum them to over marble the first
      print. Sometimes you do not even have to re-alum for
      it to work.

      Best, Laura
      --- enigmaticmatrix <Weshabak@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Despite all of the advice given to me, I failed
      > again! I mixed up
      > the Meth Cel as instructed, let it sit for about
      > three hours, then
      > dived in to the marbling. The paints (ProChem
      > Marbling Colors)spread
      > out into a 1" circle, then, just the middle of the
      > circles turned
      > into little boogers and sank. I continued to lay
      > the colors in the
      > tank. I laid the silk scarf on the paints,(I did
      > not comb it)and
      > viola! The scarf looked....blah. Well, I tried again
      > and got the same
      > results, except the second one was blah and yuck!
      > Skimmed the
      > surface, and did a third scarf. It turned out
      > eeeuuuwwww! These are
      > expensive silk rags I just made. I have nine more
      > scarves to try
      > with. I am determined to try again!
      > Donna

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • hhumler
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2002
        Donna - don't be discouraged. I use ProChem everything with fantastic results. I don't know if you are
        still using that huge tank, but may i suggest that you start small - kitty litter sized pan and try
        marbling paper first. I have marbled in three very different locations - meaning different water
        sources each time and that can affect the methyl cel somewhat. i do not agree about the viscosity of
        the metyl cel - mine is just somewhat slimy but definetly is not thick enough to leave a trail in. I
        don find that the larger the tank, the more paint is needed, of course so to get a feel for it - start
        manll. My largest tank will hold two 54" x 9" scarves side by side. I get fabulous results. But i did
        start by doing paper and lots of it before i felt competent enough to try other stuff. i now marble
        cotton duck cloth for duffle bags, satin for wine bags, silk scarves and occasionally still marble plain
        cotton for other uses. It definetly is a trial and error process but oh so rewarding.
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2002

          Hello Donna,

          I¹ve been away for 2 weeks and missed the beginning of this. So here are
          some ideas and I hope it is not TOO late.

          The PH of the methyl cell solution must match that of the paints you are
          using. From the reaction of the pigments, I think your PH is most likely
          too high. You can lower the PH by adding distilled white vinegar. You¹ll
          need to get some PH tape with a range from 3 to 10. I work for a PH of 5.5
          to 6.5 never higher, and not much lower.

          Also, the temperature of the paint and the solution in the tray should be
          about the same. You¹ll soon realize that a really cold tray will cause the
          paints not to spread and to sink.

          I¹ve done about 2000 tee shirts in the not distant enough past, and I
          found that they ALL need to be prewashed. Some more than others. Dharma is
          NOT my favorite company. I have never gotten satisfactory results with any
          item or product they sell. Sometimes things are worst ...so they are not
          even consistently bad!!

          Best wishes and good luck!! Gail