I tried it again!

  • enigmaticmatrix
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
      Hi all,
      Despite all of the advice given to me, I failed again! I mixed up
      the Meth Cel as instructed, let it sit for about three hours, then
      dived in to the marbling. The paints (ProChem Marbling Colors)spread
      out into a 1" circle, then, just the middle of the circles turned
      into little boogers and sank. I continued to lay the colors in the
      tank. I laid the silk scarf on the paints,(I did not comb it)and
      viola! The scarf looked....blah. Well, I tried again and got the same
      results, except the second one was blah and yuck! Skimmed the
      surface, and did a third scarf. It turned out eeeuuuwwww! These are
      expensive silk rags I just made. I have nine more scarves to try
      with. I am determined to try again!
      Donna
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
        Gee......sounds like either you need to thin the paints or weaken the size.
        My "circles" drop down into way bigger spots, then contract a little. Bet
        that will help. Try thinnning a little paint first before ruining all the
        size.

        Iris Nevins
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
          Donna,

          I've tried Pro Chem marbling colors and didn't like
          them at all. Every paint source has its own
          personality. Like people there are some that are a
          good match and some that aren't. It you want to keep
          using Pro Chem call and ask for their Research and
          Development Department or product customer service
          and ask them what surfactant they recommend to help
          the paints to spread. See if they can trouble shoot.
          You can try a few drops of rubbing alcohol added
          directly to paints to help them spread. Also possible
          is a solution of 10 drops of Dawn dish washing liquid
          in 1/4 cup water or Kodak Photo Flow (start with 1-3
          drops). You can also try thinning your bath some.
          When you pull a stylus straight through the bath it
          should be just thick enough to "hold a line".
          Otherwise forget Pro Chem and search for a new paint
          source. Earth Guild (800-EARTH GU)has a mail order
          business and sells a little kit with 6 Golden colors,
          methyl cellulose (don't know if it's the same source
          as Pro Chem) and a stylus for about $25. I've seen
          some paper marbled with Iris's paints that were nice.
          The marbler who used them said they worked great.

          Instead of wasting your scarves practice in a small
          area of the tank using paper towels, manilla art paper
          or newsprint to get an idea of how the paints are
          working. You don't have to alum those. Save the
          scarves you didn't like until you are getting better
          results and re-alum them to over marble the first
          print. Sometimes you do not even have to re-alum for
          it to work.

          Best, Laura
          --- enigmaticmatrix <Weshabak@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > Despite all of the advice given to me, I failed
          > again! I mixed up
          > the Meth Cel as instructed, let it sit for about
          > three hours, then
          > dived in to the marbling. The paints (ProChem
          > Marbling Colors)spread
          > out into a 1" circle, then, just the middle of the
          > circles turned
          > into little boogers and sank. I continued to lay
          > the colors in the
          > tank. I laid the silk scarf on the paints,(I did
          > not comb it)and
          > viola! The scarf looked....blah. Well, I tried again
          > and got the same
          > results, except the second one was blah and yuck!
          > Skimmed the
          > surface, and did a third scarf. It turned out
          > eeeuuuwwww! These are
          > expensive silk rags I just made. I have nine more
          > scarves to try
          > with. I am determined to try again!
          > Donna

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • hhumler
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2002
            Donna - don't be discouraged. I use ProChem everything with fantastic results. I don't know if you are
            still using that huge tank, but may i suggest that you start small - kitty litter sized pan and try
            marbling paper first. I have marbled in three very different locations - meaning different water
            sources each time and that can affect the methyl cel somewhat. i do not agree about the viscosity of
            the metyl cel - mine is just somewhat slimy but definetly is not thick enough to leave a trail in. I
            don find that the larger the tank, the more paint is needed, of course so to get a feel for it - start
            manll. My largest tank will hold two 54" x 9" scarves side by side. I get fabulous results. But i did
            start by doing paper and lots of it before i felt competent enough to try other stuff. i now marble
            cotton duck cloth for duffle bags, satin for wine bags, silk scarves and occasionally still marble plain
            cotton for other uses. It definetly is a trial and error process but oh so rewarding.
          • Gail MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2002

              Hello Donna,

              I¹ve been away for 2 weeks and missed the beginning of this. So here are
              some ideas and I hope it is not TOO late.

              The PH of the methyl cell solution must match that of the paints you are
              using. From the reaction of the pigments, I think your PH is most likely
              too high. You can lower the PH by adding distilled white vinegar. You¹ll
              need to get some PH tape with a range from 3 to 10. I work for a PH of 5.5
              to 6.5 never higher, and not much lower.

              Also, the temperature of the paint and the solution in the tray should be
              about the same. You¹ll soon realize that a really cold tray will cause the
              paints not to spread and to sink.

              I¹ve done about 2000 tee shirts in the not distant enough past, and I
              found that they ALL need to be prewashed. Some more than others. Dharma is
              NOT my favorite company. I have never gotten satisfactory results with any
              item or product they sell. Sometimes things are worst ...so they are not
              even consistently bad!!

              Best wishes and good luck!! Gail