Re: [Marbling] HELP!!!!!

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2002
      You have come to the right place to learn. Look through the archives
      here--LOTS of info to help get you started.
      :)
      Jill
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
        Hi everyone!
        Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have been stuck on this
        computer reading a lot of posts. I want to introduce myself. I am an
        artist, and have been drawing and painting on paper and canvas, also
        airbrushed on T-shirts for about three years. I learned about
        marbling in 1993. I thought that it was the most beautiful art that I
        had ever seen. I couldn't figure out how it was done. I bought a book
        called Marbling by Carol Taylor. In 1994, I bought a 25 lb bag of
        methyl-cel, acrylic paints, and T-shirts from Dharma, had my husband
        build a tray (5'X4'X3"), and followed the directions to a "T"...
        Talk about disappointment! I read everything at least five times, and
        followed the directions. I even called Dharma and discussed marbling
        with the person on the phone. Anyhow, the results I got looked
        nothing like what I saw in the books I had bought. I became
        frustrated and put everything away in my basement. I recently became
        interested again and got everything out to try it again. The results
        are the same...disappointing. I soak T-shirts in alum for 20 - 30
        minutes. I dry them in the dryer. I use 1/4 cup alum to 1 gallon
        water and 3 Tbls. Methyl Cel + 1 tsp. ammonia to each gallon water.
        The paint (Jaquard Super Opaque Marbling Colors) turns to little
        boogers and promptly sinks to the bottom of the size. I have thinned
        the paint (1 tsp paint to 1 tsp water, adding 1 tsp of water and
        testing until I had a whole CUP) and it STILL sinks!!! I made the
        size thicker, and made it thinner. NOTHING I have tried works! I have
        bought and read all of the books that were suggested to me. That's
        why I posted my urgent cry for help.

        > Check out the extensive archives from previous inquiries. It is
        full of good info.
        *I'm in the process of doing this.*

        > Also, on-line registration for the International Marblers'
        Gathering 2002 begins Feb. 21.
        *I can't go. I live too far, and don't have the money to go. If
        anyone knows of a marbling workshop closer to PA, let me know.*

        > Are using watercolor, acrylic or oils.
        *I have never tried watercolors. I have tried acrylic (DEKA, Jaquard,
        Createx,) and oil paints (This does NOT work on fabric!!!).*

        >What are you using as a thickener for the bath/size?
        *Methyl Cel*

        > Are you printing on paper or fabric?
        *I never tried paper. I am wasting a lot of money on T-shirts that
        turn out to be very colorful looking rags!!!*

        I recently bought some silk scarves from Dharma...I hope you all can
        help me!!!
        Donna