Re: [Marbling] HELP!!!!!

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2002
      Dear Donna,

      Check out the extensive archives from previous
      inquiries. It is full of good info.

      Also, on-line registration for the International
      Marblers' Gathering 2002 begins Feb. 21. Go to
      www.Arrowmont.org and click Special Events and
      Conferences. A daily schedule and list of presenters,
      bios and lecture/demo topics is now up.

      Are using watercolor, acrylic or oils. What are you
      using as a thickener for the bath/size? Are you
      printing on paper or fabric?

      Best, Laura
      --- enigmaticmatrix <Weshabak@...> wrote:
      > I just joined this group, I didn't know anyone else
      > in the world knew
      > about marbling!!! I have been TRYING
      > (unsuccessfully) to marble
      > since 1994!!! I noticed that there have been no
      > posts since 2-15.
      > Are you guys still here? I have a gazillion
      > questions! Write back!
      > Donna

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2002
        You have come to the right place to learn. Look through the archives
        here--LOTS of info to help get you started.
        :)
        Jill
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
          Hi everyone!
          Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have been stuck on this
          computer reading a lot of posts. I want to introduce myself. I am an
          artist, and have been drawing and painting on paper and canvas, also
          airbrushed on T-shirts for about three years. I learned about
          marbling in 1993. I thought that it was the most beautiful art that I
          had ever seen. I couldn't figure out how it was done. I bought a book
          called Marbling by Carol Taylor. In 1994, I bought a 25 lb bag of
          methyl-cel, acrylic paints, and T-shirts from Dharma, had my husband
          build a tray (5'X4'X3"), and followed the directions to a "T"...
          Talk about disappointment! I read everything at least five times, and
          followed the directions. I even called Dharma and discussed marbling
          with the person on the phone. Anyhow, the results I got looked
          nothing like what I saw in the books I had bought. I became
          frustrated and put everything away in my basement. I recently became
          interested again and got everything out to try it again. The results
          are the same...disappointing. I soak T-shirts in alum for 20 - 30
          minutes. I dry them in the dryer. I use 1/4 cup alum to 1 gallon
          water and 3 Tbls. Methyl Cel + 1 tsp. ammonia to each gallon water.
          The paint (Jaquard Super Opaque Marbling Colors) turns to little
          boogers and promptly sinks to the bottom of the size. I have thinned
          the paint (1 tsp paint to 1 tsp water, adding 1 tsp of water and
          testing until I had a whole CUP) and it STILL sinks!!! I made the
          size thicker, and made it thinner. NOTHING I have tried works! I have
          bought and read all of the books that were suggested to me. That's
          why I posted my urgent cry for help.

          > Check out the extensive archives from previous inquiries. It is
          full of good info.
          *I'm in the process of doing this.*

          > Also, on-line registration for the International Marblers'
          Gathering 2002 begins Feb. 21.
          *I can't go. I live too far, and don't have the money to go. If
          anyone knows of a marbling workshop closer to PA, let me know.*

          > Are using watercolor, acrylic or oils.
          *I have never tried watercolors. I have tried acrylic (DEKA, Jaquard,
          Createx,) and oil paints (This does NOT work on fabric!!!).*

          >What are you using as a thickener for the bath/size?
          *Methyl Cel*

          > Are you printing on paper or fabric?
          *I never tried paper. I am wasting a lot of money on T-shirts that
          turn out to be very colorful looking rags!!!*

          I recently bought some silk scarves from Dharma...I hope you all can
          help me!!!
          Donna