Carragheean

  • Betty Lou Jordan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
      My three friends and I (we call ourselves the Marble-ous Four) were
      attempting to marble with acrylics for the first time this past
      weekend. We did not have very good results. I have been folowing the
      string on aluming and the newsprint, but I am also wondering if the age
      of the size might effect the marbling results. Our powdered carragheean
      (purchased from Colophon) is approximately 5-6 years old. It has been
      kept in my house and not in the garage where the temperature may effect
      it. What is the shelf life of this product and what would the effect be
      if it does become too old? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
      Betty Lou Jordan
    • Guffey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
        I have successfully used carragheean that is at least 5 years old, maybe
        even 8, purchased from Colophon and have never had a problem with it. A
        trick I learned from Peggy Skycraft was to make it thicker than you need and
        then thin it down with water when you are ready to marble to get just the
        right consistency. If you make it too thin to begin with, then you can't
        correct it. One problem may not be the carragheean but the pH balance of
        your tap water. When all else fails, you could try distilled water, rather
        than tap water, to see if your marbling size is better behaved. There are
        just so many variables as to what makes marbling work and what doesn't.
        Experiment and keep good notes!

        Happy Marbling,

        d.guffey