Re: [Marbling] IMG 2002

  • del&maryStubbs
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2002
      Hi Laura -

      A question - my husband and I are leaving for out of state for 10 days
      -this next week, so will likely be gone when the information for the
      conference comes. From your email below - even though you said that
      conference registration begins Feb. 21st - you also mentioned that
      on-line registration and prospectus will be up in about a week.....does
      this mean that on-line registrations could begin before Feb. 21? I
      wanted to be certain we were home when the registrations begin (or try
      to take care of it out of state, if necessary).

      I'm concerned that since there is only space for approx 190 participants
      - that registrations will be filled very fast - like the first morning
      or day....does it look like that's a possiblity?.... since this is an
      international conference with so many folks seeming interested? That's
      all for now - thanks for your replies - I know you must be very
      busy....Sincerely - Mary-Celine Stubbs

      Laura Sims wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Good news, registration brochures are being printed as
      > we speak. Also, the web site should be up in another
      > week with online registration and a prospectus for the
      > juried exhibition. Just as a heads-up, slides for the
      > juried exhibition will be due April 25 and conference
      > registration begins Feb. 21.
      >
      > Best to all,
      > Laura

    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2002
        Hello all,

        I wanted to give you a heads up about making plane
        reservations. If you have received an IMG brochure
        you will notice that Delta is the "official" airline
        for the Gathering. The idea of course was to get a
        good discount. I have gotten word from a couple of
        people that Delta is higher than other airlines even
        after the discount. Check around to make sure.

        Best, Laura

        http://sports.yahoo.com
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2002
          Hello all,

          First I just realized I miss read Milena's email
          concerning Jean Marie Seaton's Tribute Books.... To
          clarify we have arranged to display all of her Tribute
          to Modern Masters and will work to display as much of
          the Modern Marblers as possible.

          Preparations are progressing well. If you have not
          registered please try to register before August 1 so
          that we will have a clearer idea of numbers. Also, if
          you teach please let your students know. We have done
          extensive advertising, but would hate to hear that
          someone didn't come simply because they did not know
          about it.

          Registration confirmations are going out. Also
          included are places of interest around Gatlinburg and
          Asheville, North Carolina (1 hour 45 minutes east by
          car).

          Best, Laura

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
            Hello all,

            With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
            check in briefly and give you an update.

            We still have room in registration in case you're
            wondering if there is still time.

            We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
            Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
            fund the event... a big help!!!

            I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
            She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
            at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
            display area in the library where she can present her
            collection personally.

            The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
            outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
            enthusiastic response.

            Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
            and juried exhibition.

            The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
            lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
            Start taking you vitamins.

            27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.

            I have been reading some of the info about some kind
            of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
            will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
            after the Gathering.

            Best to all, Laura

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • serra guney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
              Dear Mrs. Laura Sims,

              We are reserving our airplane tickets from now in Istanbul. Since we will go
              from a long way from to Gatlinburg, we have to use some transfer tickets. It
              is the best way for us to arrive there one day earlier, 3th of september
              night. So now we are offering five "one more night" tickets for the
              following guests;

              Fusun & Hikmet Barutcugil
              Sema Balkaya & Halise K�se
              Ayla Makas & Serra Guney
              Ozlem Bulut & Gulden Ayboga
              Ali Sarac (alone)

              If it is possible, can you please organize us one more night for the 3th
              september night.

              Thank you for your kind relationship,

              Kind Regards
              Serra Guney

              >From: Laura Sims <indigostone2@...>
              >To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Marbling] IMG 2002
              >Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Hello all,
              >
              >With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
              >check in briefly and give you an update.
              >
              >We still have room in registration in case you're
              >wondering if there is still time.
              >
              >We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
              >Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
              >fund the event... a big help!!!
              >
              >I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
              > She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
              >at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
              >display area in the library where she can present her
              >collection personally.
              >
              >The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
              >outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
              >enthusiastic response.
              >
              >Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
              >and juried exhibition.
              >
              >The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
              >lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
              >Start taking you vitamins.
              >
              >27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.
              >
              >I have been reading some of the info about some kind
              >of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
              >will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
              >after the Gathering.
              >
              >Best to all, Laura

              >Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
              >http://sbc.yahoo.com

            • Laura Sims
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
                Dear Serra,

                I have forwarded your request onto Arrowmont. We will
                see each of you on September 3.

                Safe journey, Laura

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Laura Sims
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                  Hello all,

                  A brief report of the International Marblers'
                  Gathering will be given soon. Vi Wilson called it out
                  "Marbling Village" since programs, food and housing
                  were all available in one place.

                  It was a rich experience providing satisfaction to
                  those or scholarly interests, as well as to those who
                  are brand new to the experiences of marbling.
                  Presentations were outstanding and the Research and
                  Development Room for trying different products and
                  techniques was a place of enthusiastic chaos.

                  The cook-out on the last night in the Great Smokey
                  Mountains was a perfect ending to an amazing weekend.
                  You haven't seen anything until you've seen Turkish
                  Belly Dancing to Blue Grass Music. We waltzed and
                  circled and twirled until the band packed up. The
                  trolley ride back home was filled with laughter and
                  satisfied yawns.

                  Everyone was clearly lonely for their community/tribe
                  and so happy to be together for a little while.

                  We are very excited to report that there will be a
                  newsletter to help maintain our connections. Money
                  was raised during the auction so that we can now purse
                  a Society of Marbling.

                  Best to you all and if I didn't meet you this time I
                  truely look forward to meeting you in the future.

                  Warm Regards, Laura Sims

                  Yahoo! - We Remember
                  http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
                • carylhanc@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                    Dear Laura,
                    As one of the participants of the IMG, and a first timer, I was totally awed
                    by the job that you and your Planning Board did! Your job of organization
                    left nothing undone from my viewpoint. I certainly agree with Vi's comment
                    about a Marbling Village at Arrowmont, because the inhabitants of that
                    Village became a Community in every sense of the word.
                    Whenever I started to form a question about what was going on, all I had to
                    do was thumb through the booklet, and there was the answer. I especially
                    liked the synopses of the lectures and demos. That made it possible to
                    really listen to the verbal presentation.
                    The barbecue was an incredible finale to the Gathering - the food was great
                    and the setting and music really provided a touch of Tennessee.
                    I can only begin to guess the man/woman hours that went into the planning,
                    and hope that your Board has had a chance to sit down relax and catch a nap
                    or two.
                    Please extend my thanks to the staff at Arrowmont as well - the food was
                    great, and everyone was courteous and seemed on top of whatever situation
                    arose.
                    And to you, Laura, hats off and thanks again!
                    Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                      Yes......wonderful.....Can we do it again next week???? LOL!!

                      It felt, by the last day, that I had lived there for a long time and was
                      sorry to have to leave. All that was missing were my doggies......And
                      Phoebe Easton, I wish you could have been there, we missed you terribly.

                      So many friends from all over the world, and new friends. Meeting people I
                      had spoken to for many years but never met, Like Nancy Morains, Ingrid
                      Weimann, many others. Meeting new kindred spirits, not only in regards to
                      marbling, but similar life experiences....(you may know who you are!).
                      Marblers I had long admired but never had met such as Hikmet, Nedim
                      Sonmez......

                      Meeting new friends who did not even speak English....Montse Buxo from
                      Spain, who was next to me at the portfolio sale....if you can read this in
                      English, I think you are the next marbling superstar, and a delightful
                      person.....I gave you a mention in the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal and
                      hope it does you some good business-wise.

                      Hikmet, Jake and Patty...your tiles are now displayed in my studio. I gave
                      my own tile to a good friend who loved it ....with the condition I can look
                      at it and remember the fun I had making the tile with you, Jim Currier.
                      Great to see former students who are now excellent marblers, great to see
                      the demos and how people work. It was like being at the very core of
                      creativity, it was very intense.

                      And.....Vi......I am so happy you won the wonderful book!! It will be so
                      happy with you.You are right...it did need to go to Australia! That was
                      something to remember!

                      If any of you are passing through New Jersey/New York area....please call!

[...]

                    • V. Wilson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 14, 2002
                        You were such a gracious under-bidder Iris! Your congratulatory hug meant
                        a great deal. I arrived home this morning, and the book arrived safely
                        too. The man at Quarantine in Sydney showed more than passing interest in
                        it - think he thought the boards were wood, (hope they were not, Jake!)
                        While I was visiting with the Guyots, we paid a visit to Nancy, and Eileen
                        Canning was there too, so both their signatures are now in the book. Mimi
                        - I know you signed your piece, but somehow I missed getting your signature
                        on the page. Sorry!! Guess I will just have to haul the book to the next
                        Gathering!

                        And I would like to add my sincere thanks and warmest congratulations to
                        everyone involved in the organization of the Gathering. It was truly a
                        mammoth effort. The sense of community and sharing were wonderful, and I
                        doubt that anyone was disappointed - except those who for one reason or
                        another were unable to attend. Sincere thanks also to Arrowmont staff for
                        providing such great food and facilities.

                        One of the highlights was being able to see first hand the incredible
                        Modern Marblers folios which Jean-Marie Seaton worked on so lovingly for so
                        many years. A person of half her years would have been hard pressed to
                        produce a more beautiful tribute to marbling. Truly magnificent. Bravo,
                        Jean-Marie!

                        Best wishes
                        Vi Wilson