Re: virus

  • kentuckygin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
      Jill.... I am curious as to why you didn't turn the attachment
      option off when the vote was final. The list was hit with a virus
      the last day the poll was open and has been hit again since then.
      The option was still open when I checked this morning. Why haven't
      you closed it?

      --- In Marbling@y..., "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@s...> wrote:
      > At the moment, the list allows email attachments--and this is the
      common way your computer gets 'infected'. Some readers are using
      virus screening software to detect the virus IN the attachments.
      Those that open the attachments without checking first are likely to
      pass on whatever is in the code. The digests that are sent out
      automatically will of course contain the attachment as well that also
      will have the virus. Where a virus has been identified, I go back
      into Yahoo and eliminate the infected message, but by then, the
      digest version of the list has already been sent. ....I put out a
      poll that quizzed readers whether or not the attachment feature
      should remain. Although the number of responses indicated a
      resounding no--the response itself was not fully indicative of the
      actual number of readers on the list. ...........There are pros and
      cons as to whether large email lists should have the attachment
      feature available and I generalize that the prevailing attitude is to
      not have them, as another preventative means to stop destructive
      virus power...Shortly I will turn off the feature that allows the
      attachments feature, as the poll indicates this need..........In the
      meantime, readers must be cautioned to use virus checking software on
      attachments.
      > Jill

      have viruses in them. Has anyone else had this problem? This one said
      that RE: (marbling)Digest number 292
      > from "Susan Lightcap" is infected with W32/BadTrans@MM
      > Anybody else know what's going on?
      > annk
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
        No doubt I ran in After the poll was closed, wrote my mail, then ran out
        again............I will go and turn the feature off now that I have made and
        have the time to do so.
        Jill