Re: [Marbling] virus

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      At the moment, the list allows email attachments--and this is the common way your computer gets 'infected'. Some readers are using virus screening software to detect the virus IN the attachments. Those that open the attachments without checking first are likely to pass on whatever is in the code. The digests that are sent out automatically will of course contain the attachment as well that also will have the virus. Where a virus has been identified, I go back into Yahoo and eliminate the infected message, but by then, the digest version of the list has already been sent. ....I put out a poll that quizzed readers  whether or not the attachment feature should remain. Although the number of responses indicated a resounding no--the response itself was not fully indicative of the actual number of readers on the list. ...........There are pros and cons as to whether large email lists should have the attachment feature available and I generalize that the prevailing attitude is to not have them, as another preventative means to stop destructive virus power...Shortly I will turn off the feature that allows the attachments feature, as the poll indicates this need..........In the meantime, readers must be cautioned to use virus checking software on attachments.
      Jill
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
        The anti virus software that you use should provide you with the means and
        the explanation to get rid of the virus. Some software is better than others
        and offer instructions at their site to also deal with the virus.
        Jill

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
            Jill.... I am curious as to why you didn't turn the attachment
            option off when the vote was final. The list was hit with a virus
            the last day the poll was open and has been hit again since then.
            The option was still open when I checked this morning. Why haven't
            you closed it?

            --- In Marbling@y..., "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@s...> wrote:
            > At the moment, the list allows email attachments--and this is the
            common way your computer gets 'infected'. Some readers are using
            virus screening software to detect the virus IN the attachments.
            Those that open the attachments without checking first are likely to
            pass on whatever is in the code. The digests that are sent out
            automatically will of course contain the attachment as well that also
            will have the virus. Where a virus has been identified, I go back
            into Yahoo and eliminate the infected message, but by then, the
            digest version of the list has already been sent. ....I put out a
            poll that quizzed readers whether or not the attachment feature
            should remain. Although the number of responses indicated a
            resounding no--the response itself was not fully indicative of the
            actual number of readers on the list. ...........There are pros and
            cons as to whether large email lists should have the attachment
            feature available and I generalize that the prevailing attitude is to
            not have them, as another preventative means to stop destructive
            virus power...Shortly I will turn off the feature that allows the
            attachments feature, as the poll indicates this need..........In the
            meantime, readers must be cautioned to use virus checking software on
            attachments.
            > Jill

            Service.
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
              No doubt I ran in After the poll was closed, wrote my mail, then ran out
              again............I will go and turn the feature off now that I have made and
              have the time to do so.
              Jill