virus

  • Ann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
      I have received messages saying that the e-mails from this list have viruses in them. Has anyone else had this problem? This one said that RE: (marbling)Digest number 292
       from "Susan Lightcap" is infected with W32/BadTrans@MM
      Anybody else know what's going on?
      annk
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
        At the moment, the list allows email attachments--and this is the common way your computer gets 'infected'. Some readers are using virus screening software to detect the virus IN the attachments. Those that open the attachments without checking first are likely to pass on whatever is in the code. The digests that are sent out automatically will of course contain the attachment as well that also will have the virus. Where a virus has been identified, I go back into Yahoo and eliminate the infected message, but by then, the digest version of the list has already been sent. ....I put out a poll that quizzed readers  whether or not the attachment feature should remain. Although the number of responses indicated a resounding no--the response itself was not fully indicative of the actual number of readers on the list. ...........There are pros and cons as to whether large email lists should have the attachment feature available and I generalize that the prevailing attitude is to not have them, as another preventative means to stop destructive virus power...Shortly I will turn off the feature that allows the attachments feature, as the poll indicates this need..........In the meantime, readers must be cautioned to use virus checking software on attachments.
        Jill
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
          The anti virus software that you use should provide you with the means and
          the explanation to get rid of the virus. Some software is better than others
          and offer instructions at their site to also deal with the virus.
          Jill

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
              Jill.... I am curious as to why you didn't turn the attachment
              option off when the vote was final. The list was hit with a virus
              the last day the poll was open and has been hit again since then.
              The option was still open when I checked this morning. Why haven't
              you closed it?

              --- In Marbling@y..., "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@s...> wrote:
              > At the moment, the list allows email attachments--and this is the
              common way your computer gets 'infected'. Some readers are using
              virus screening software to detect the virus IN the attachments.
              Those that open the attachments without checking first are likely to
              pass on whatever is in the code. The digests that are sent out
              automatically will of course contain the attachment as well that also
              will have the virus. Where a virus has been identified, I go back
              into Yahoo and eliminate the infected message, but by then, the
              digest version of the list has already been sent. ....I put out a
              poll that quizzed readers whether or not the attachment feature
              should remain. Although the number of responses indicated a
              resounding no--the response itself was not fully indicative of the
              actual number of readers on the list. ...........There are pros and
              cons as to whether large email lists should have the attachment
              feature available and I generalize that the prevailing attitude is to
              not have them, as another preventative means to stop destructive
              virus power...Shortly I will turn off the feature that allows the
              attachments feature, as the poll indicates this need..........In the
              meantime, readers must be cautioned to use virus checking software on
              attachments.
              > Jill

              Service.
            • J Dolphin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2002
                No doubt I ran in After the poll was closed, wrote my mail, then ran out
                again............I will go and turn the feature off now that I have made and
                have the time to do so.
                Jill