Re: [Marbling] (unknown)

  • oguzhan tugrul
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2002
      Dear Laura,
      how do I know  if I'm on the participant list in Arrowmont? What to do?
      I want to participate in 'marbled glass' works.
      Wish you and the group  A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
      cordially,
      Oguzhan from ARTISTAnBUL
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 3, 2002
        Dear Oguzhan and Marbling Group,

        I wanted to give you a few updates. If you have
        filled out a directory form with Marie Palowoda
        (marie@...) you will receive a brochure by mail.
        The brochures should be sent out the end of Januray.
        Also, the website will be up by the end of this month
        at www.arrowmont.org.

        Dates to remember: FEBRUARY 21 registration begins.
        You may register online. YOu may want to register
        early since it is being well publicized. Registration
        and meals are combined for a cost of $350 plus room.
        APRIL 25 slides are due for the juried exhibition. A
        prospectus will be in the brochure and on the website.

        Best Regards, Laura

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 15, 2003
          Hi Susanne.....I am working on an article for the Marbling Journal on
          papers (Marie....I PROMISE IT SOON, should be another week or two of
          testing a few more papers) I will post my findings ahead on this group. I
          am testing a lot of papers right now, and sadly most don't work, due to
          calcium carbonate buffering.

          The ones I like best right now and will likely choose as my standby papers
          are Hahnemuele Ingres for a textured and Permalin for a smooth paper. The
          Ingres is in big art stores but expensive. Permalin is in NYC at
          212-768-7500. You can request swatch books and sheets to test. There are
          large minimum orders required, I think about 650 sheets. I was considering
          adding suitable papers to my marbling supply line at a discount from the
          art stores, papers I would stock and test constantly and know worked, and
          could keep on top of the rediculous ruination of one good paper after
          another due to the current buffering practice. The papers were so good and
          so very long life before, I find this to be a politically correct selling
          point, and frankly the masses have no clue what it means. There is a place
          for is if desired for sure, but nowadays finding a non buffered paper (many
          of these were also acid neutral by the way so why bother) is near
          impossible.

          I was also speaking to one mill about creating a paper ideal for marbling
          and marketing it as such. One smaller mill is willing to try this if I
          would be willing to test it for them....the catch is the minumum order is
          about 40,000 sheets. I can currently store half of that, the investment
          high, but would be worth its weight in gold to be able to have some good
          reliable paper though.

          Sorry to rant on about this but even some of the manufacturers I have
          spoken to find this buffering silly, but the masses want it because they
          have been fed an idea they have no clue about,and they will lose sales
          unless they do this. It is really a problem.

          Anyway....papers I know work, are the Ingres, Canson...though it is also
          usually heavy, Strathmore Charcoal. I can get my newly buffered Classic
          Linen to work fairly well by using 1 1/2 TBS alum to a cup of hot water,
          but this must be bought in cartons of at least 1000 sheets and I don't
          recomment it anymore anyway. Before anyone faints over the huge amount of
          alum, remember that the buffering is still there counteracting most of the
          alum. I don't know if this works on other buffered papers and frankly am so
          fed up I don't want to try ordering and testing other bad papers. And I
          should mention that the tests are all done with my own paints, I don't have
          time to test how others work.....but any of you who use other paints I
          would really love to hear how they work on what papers. That could be a
          lively discussion here as well.

          Good luck,
          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          Hello marblers, I have been lurking for a while and have decided to ask you

          all a question that has been nagging at me for years. I work exclusively
          with Rising Stonehenge - a heavy printmaking paper. I need to start doing
          some marbling on a lighter weight paper. What is your favorite? Any quirks
          should know about? Where do you order from - in the USA if possible. I
          appreciate in advance any information you would be willing to share with
          me.
          Thanks, Susanne<
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 9, 2005
            Dear Gretchen,

            You can use air brush colors with Golden GAC 900
            fabric medium. Once the print is dry it will need to
            be heat set by ironing on the reverse side. You may
            find that some of the air brush (ex. phthalo blue) get
            tiny holes in the paint membrane once it spreads to a
            full circle. If you want large stones instead of a
            manipulated pattern this can be a problem. Add some
            GAC 100 to strengthen it. Golden's line of Fluid
            Acrylics also work well. You also want to get some
            Golden Flow Release for a surfactant. The GAC 900
            aids in spreading most colors nicely, but if you want
            to use iridescents or some colors like dioxazine
            purple you will want to add a couple of drops of flow
            release to your mixture. Golden has a wonderful
            folder of information that they will send you about
            their paint. Ask for their marbling instruction as
            well.

            Best,
            Laura Sims
            Indigo Stone Studio

            --- gretchen vansant
            <vansantdesigns@...> wrote:
            > Hello to all....Well I'm fine tuning my fabric
            > marbling,so I'm tring new paints. Golden paints like
            > many of you paper marblers use.I was told to use
            > the air brush colors (unfortunately I only said I
            > was marbling ,not fabric marbling at the store )when
            > I got home I knowticed the instuctions said " not
            > for use on clothes" augh ...So what kind of "golden
            > paints" do I use for fabric (using methol cel bath)?
            > Is there a heatset for this product? and info would
            > be helpful. gretchen

            > removed]

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2005
              when I use my own watercolor paints I hang them right up, you just have to get a feel for what the right amount of paint is. If you want/need to rinse I lay them on a slanted board in a big sink and you can just gently pour water over them. Also most American made papers nowadays don't hold the paints as well if at all.

              iris nevins
              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2005
                Iris ,I'm purposely using the nature text,on your recomendation! So lets see! Thanks! Gretchen

                irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:when I use my own watercolor paints I hang them right up, you just have to get a feel for what the right amount of paint is. If you want/need to rinse I lay them on a slanted board in a big sink and you can just gently pour water over them. Also most American made papers nowadays don't hold the paints as well if at all.

                iris nevins

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                  Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

                  Iris NEvins

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                    I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity? I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen

                    irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

                    Iris NEvins

                    Thank you everyone, again I'm trying to solve paint dropping problem. I'm doing everything the same,even more dispersent ,but no luck. First I'm gonna try warming up the room alittle more, afilter on the water source,new paints, If it comes down to it bottled distilled water. But alas using bottled water IS expensive for me. I use 22-26 gallons ,but its better than wasting time energy and supplies! Gretchen

                  • Gail MacKenzie
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                      > I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle
                      > , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really
                      > think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing
                      > tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity?
                      > I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen
                      >
                      > irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they
                      > changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems
                      > with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe
                      > you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?
                      >
                      > Iris NEvins

                      Yes, Gretchen, I think that Calgon has a product that will help. First,
                      what paints and type of methyl cel are you using? It¹s hard to test the Ph
                      of the paints and I have yet to find a company that will tell me the Ph of
                      their products other than Ruppert, Gibbon and Spider in Northern CA...but,
                      they do have an 800 number.

                      Anyhow, the Calgon product is available by mail through their internet site.
                      It is the powdered form that comes in a box. I used to mix 4 gallons of
                      (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                      and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It¹s the
                      most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                      10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7 and the temperature of
                      everything above 65degrees. Iris and I had an interesting discussion once,
                      about how different our ideal conditions for marbling were!! Good luck
                      again. And to Iris...I can¹t wait to order the new CD!!

                    • carylhanc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                        In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

                        > I used to mix 4 gallons of
                        > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                        > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It〓s the
                        > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                        > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7

                        Hi!
                        This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
                        of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
                        tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
                        significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you lower
                        the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.

                        There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
                        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                      • Gail MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005

                          > In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:
                          >

                          >> > I used to mix 4 gallons of
                          >> > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                          >> > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It?s the
                          >> > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                          >> > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7
                          >> >

                          > Hi!
                          > This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
                          > of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
                          > tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
                          > significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you
                          > lower
                          > the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.
                          >
                          > There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
                          > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                          > Art and design school
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+and+design+school&w1=Art+and+design+s
                          > chool&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=G
                          > raphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=VEn3B
                          > f6q4tx50zJBMc0tPQ> Art design class
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+class&w1=Art+and+design+school
                          > &w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graphi
                          > c+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=uVoEvyBiG5
                          > tobVaugf5yxg> Art design degree
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+degree&w1=Art+and+design+schoo
                          > l&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graph
                          > ic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=YcwtrwxYg
                          > 5nhZe76n6GX2g>
                          > Game art design college
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Game+art+design+college&w1=Art+and+design
                          > +school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5
                          > =Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=st8
                          > Lda3OEbZopG0BVvmdUw> Graphic art design program
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+art+design+program&w1=Art+and+des
                          > ign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college
                          > &w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=
                          > UFSgECyK5CHf1GRuAUS9WA> School of graphic art design
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+graphic+art+design&w1=Art+and+d
                          > esign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+colle
                          > ge&w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.si
                          > g=is7a4aocJ9woY80pJI7t>
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          > the web.
                          > *
                          > *
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          Opps!! you¹re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                          rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                          water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                          suspension. There are at least a dozen different kinds of methyl
                          cel....from ice cream and instant pudding thickeners to making the water at
                          water slides more slippery!!

                        • carylhanc@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                            In a message dated 11/17/05 4:16:29 PM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

                            > Opps!! you〓re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                            > rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                            > water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                            > suspension.

                            Hi!
                            Whew! Thanks, Gail. I did not know that the calgon powder raised the pH,
                            and figured I was missing something really important!
                            Caryl Hancock in frigid Indianapolis

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 4, 2010
                              Lovely work!!!